Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Seattle and/or Vancouver in June with kids

Jan 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to plan a summer vacation in mid to late June with our two kids who at that time will be almost five and almost two. We have traveled to Hawaii several times with one or both or our kids and over the holidays we went to Cabo San Lucas.

We have also been to San Francisco, San Diego, Atlanta/Savannah (visit relatives) and New Orleans (visit relatives.)

We live in the Los Angeles area. Because long flights are challenging, we prefer staying out west while our kids are small.

For our next trip in June, we are interested in going to Seattle and or Vancouver. Essentially we have seven days, excluding travel time for which I have already accounted for.

We are trying to decide if we should go to Seattle stay three days and go to Vancouver and stay for another three or if persons have opinions about whether we should divide our time differntly or stay entirely in one city.

My kids are very active and love to run around in parks, kids museums and other open spaces. My wife and I love to sight see and eat and I like to jog and do water sports like white water rafting and kayaking.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Jan 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
BAK

Seattle two, Vancouver four, maybe? And what are the ground logistics.

If you flew to Seattle, rented a car and drove to Vancouver, and then returned the car to Seattle and flew home, that would solve cross-border rental car problems.

Vancouver has great parks, including esy access to the water, where both kids can paddle in the ocean. Coplder than the southern California cost, though.

Several parks in Vancouver great for kids.

If you drobve from Seattle to Vancouver, you could go via the ferry to Victoria, on Vancouver Island, where there's another museum that the bigger child would enjoy. (plus the adults)

Ferry boat rides are fun for kids. You might see whales from the ferry from Vancouver Island to Vancouver.

The big kid will find things to laugh at in Vancouver, including gas stations in the middle of the water, and a pig on a sign, if you go to the right place.

I think (used to be there, is it still there) there's a Children's Museum on Gramnville Island in downtown Vancouver.

I used to go to Vancouver often for business, and we hard offices in Bellingham and Seattle, and was in all three cities often, and drive between them all a lot.

For adults, both big cities are good places to visit. The bigger kid will love it, and the little one doesn't much care, but we still have a picture of my daughter when she was two, playing on the beach in Victoria.

And they'll both love the public transit system in Vancouver, with subway-like trains above ground, and a boat they call a bus that crosses the harbor.

BAK
Jan 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM

There's a wonderful website about Vancouver that's called Find Family Fun. It's maintained by a real-life Vancouver family consisting of Mom, Dad and three kids.

They describe each attraction they like, what age group(s) it appeals to, etc.

One of the good things about the layout of the web site is that you can sort the activities by location and by price range, starting with free activities and going up from there.

The ability to sort by location is useful because of Vancouver's geography. It's helpful to do centrally located activities on one day, "North Shore" activities on another day, and so on.

http://www.findfamilyfun.com

As a starting point for your planning, you could check out Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria in Fodor's Destinations section (accessible by clicking on the link at the top of this screen). However, I would suggest combining Fodor's advice with the advice on the Find Family Fun web site.

I like BAK's suggestion of the ferry ride to Victoria on Vancouver Island. With little kids, however, it might be a bit much to squeeze Seattle, Vancouver and Victoria into seven days. If you take the ferry, it takes about 4 hours to get from downtown Vancouver to downtown Victoria.

If you want a much shorter ferry ride to a small, laid back island, you migh consider an outing to Bowen Island, which is fully described on the Find Family Fun web site.

Stanley Park is a "must see / must do" place. It appeals to all age groups. When they were younger, our kids loved the swimming pools in the pool at Second Beach.

The miniature train and farmyard at Stanley Park are great activities for young children.

Adults and children alike enjoy Vancouver Aquarium. You yourselves live at the ocean, so you may think an aquarium is old hat. However, since this one concentrates on species found in cool temperate and Arctic waters, it may offer you something new. If nothing else, it would be a good to put it on your Plan B list in case of rain.

I have not been to the aquarium in Seattle, but have heard that the one in Vancouver is considerably bigger.

Vancouver's Science World appeals to young kids very much.

Vancouver has excellent places to jog, especially Stanley Park's sea wall.

You can rent kayaks at Granville Island Market.

I agree with BAK's suggestion of 2 days in Seattle and 4 days in Vancouver. If all of you were adults or if your kids were older elementary school students or teenagers, you could fit in Victoria. With little kids, I think you're better of skipping Victoria.

Hope that helps.
Jan 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your input. It's looking like more time in Vancouver!
Jan 10th, 2006, 07:15 AM
ltt

i personally would choose vancouver and then going out to one of the islands for 2 nights - bowen, salt spring, or other. (i think victoria is dull for kids.) that way you get the ferry ride and experience two different things.
i can't really speak on seattle as i've only read about it (sounds great) but the downside to doing seattle and vancouver is you are driving across the border twice. if the wait happens to be long, that's a drag for kids.
Jan 10th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ltt