Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue: A Pleasant Afternoon Excursion from Downtown Montreal (no car required)

Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue: A Pleasant Afternoon Excursion from Downtown Montreal (no car required)

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:56 PM
Daniel Williams

I had some free time today and decided to check out a part of Montreal island that I'd never been to before, Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, located almost on the western tip.

I took the AMT or the commuter line out from Vendome metro station, arriving in Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue stop in around 40 minutes. Even though the community is on the same island as Montreal, I felt as if I were transported FAR away.

While there is a somewhat artificial feel to the main commercial artery, Boulevard Sainte-Anne, I saw more than a few restaurants and stores I wouldn't mind checking out again on a repeat visit. Away from this main street though, I felt in 40 minutes, I'd been transported to a quaint Quebec village, with the beautiful stonework church, la Paroisse de Sainte-Anne, and some almost small town New England-like pleasantly painted homes on charming narrow streets. The views of the river from the waterfront and the foothills of the Laurentians of the opposite shore I found quite gorgeous, especially with the variety of leaf colours. I felt far more like I was surrounded by countryside than on the same island as Canada's 2nd largest city.

I would definitely recommend Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue as an excursion for those making an extended visit to Montreal or back in the city for a repeat trip. (Funny enough, SAdB did not even get MENTIONED in a few guidebooks on Montreal I looked at; I really am puzzled at this.)

The fare to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue from downtown Montreal is $1.75 if you have a metro ticket/weekly or monthly pass AND $4 without one on the AMT.

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I returned to Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue this Monday with my parents who were visiting from the Washington, DC area. We went out on the AMT commuter train, which you can either pick up downtown (Gare Windsor) or Vendôme metro. The journey is now $5 per person.

I was quite horrified to observe the pace of development since I visited last (11/2002). Where there were charming old homes before near the commuter train stop, there are now some recently-built generic behemoth townhouses; the view from the boardwalk which was before relatively unspoiled now gives a view of some high-rise condominium complexes. Progress? Maybe some will think so, but I sure don't. It is my sincere hope that Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue (founded in 1703), recently demerged from the megacity of Montreal, makes decisions in the future to preserve its character before it's too late...

Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue still retains a charm as a getaway from the city, with some peaceful side streets and some graceful old homes away from that nasty new townhouse development. The views from the boardwalk and waterfront paths still are lovely in places of the river and little islets and the main street Sainte-Anne still has some cute locally-run shops. Cegep John Abbott also has a pleasant green space with relatively unspoiled views of the water.

A nice alternative for those wanting to save a bit of money: We took the #211 bus back to the city (goes to Lionel-Groulx metro for the price of a bus ticket), which gives lovely views of the Saint-Lawrence River, Centennial Park and old West Island homes along the way (prettier than the train ride). DAN
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:09 PM

dw, I live a hop and a skip away from the village of Ste Anne; the bus passes in front of my house !! Ste Anne has Daoust department store, it's very old and has been updated but retained the cash money system that goes to a central cash by those tubes that travel within the walls; Chalet Thai is my favorite restaurant, much better than city places, the owners are delightful.

Le Surcouf is an upscale french restaurant that has been there for 30 years.
Ste Anne is a hodge podge of the quaint and the tacky, bars abund because there is large college closeby. If you return on a weekday, walk to the far end of the village and look for the VON house, the victorian order of nurses, on the north side of the street, they operate a dining room for lunch, all volunteers, and they have a quaint lunch, old fashioned style. Definitely a blast from the past.

I admit that the townhouse development has spoiled the view but a lot of empty nesters sell their home and want to stay on the west island as opposed to moving to the city, so I guess it's a necessary evil, waterfront property is always in demand.

There are also boat rides available from the boardwalk.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 03:12 PM

dw. one more thing; if you return on the 211, get off at Cartier stop on Lakeshore road in Pointe Claire, the village there is quite pretty and would be worth strolling through for interesting shopping and food; you'll have to pay another bus fee to get back on though. But hey, it's cheap enough.

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM

Check out Hudson as well , just a few min. west of saint Annes ....
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 05:59 PM

Mitch DesJ,

Lucky for me, I get the monthly pass, so hopping on and off the bus at will doesn't cost me any extra. Indeed, I do enjoy Pointe Claire Village about equally and appreciate the waterfront and local stores there.

The townhouses I think shocked me since it hasn't been so long since my last visit and they're all new. My fear is that this sort of development will take over altogether... I've seen this happen to far too many communities. In my view, Sainte-Anne is too much of a heritage treasure for that fate and should be protected; I say let the empty nesters move into the existing beautiful old homes or find some already overdeveloped place to go if they want some big behemoth modern townhouse.

Just my 2 cents .