Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hopewell Rocks: just how muddy is the ocean floor?

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we need to pack boots or rubbers or old throw-away shoes in order to walk on the ocean floor at Hopewell Rocks? Is going bare foot not advisable?
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:59 AM

I checked the photos of my last visit a few years ago to refresh my memory. We were wearing sports sandals, but many people were wearing running shoes (mostly white and often newish looking), various types of sandals (from leather to flip flops!) and a few were in bare feet - but carrying their sandals (you have to go up and down a steep set of (metal?) steps). The ocean floor is fairly hard packed there, although if the tide has just gone out it will be damp and there will be scattered puddles.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 12:08 AM

No, don't worry about your shoes.

I roamed all around in my standard tennis shoes and never even thought twice about the ground beneath me.

Just keep your mind clear for the sign that says:

<b>"Warning, you MUST be off of this beach by ______ to avoid being trapped by the incoming tide"</b>
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Hi, I worked at the Rocks for a few years and the mud on the ocean floor depends on the weather! If we have a calm day, the muddy water comes in with the high tide and some of the mud settles on the ocean floor and the water goes out, leaving a thin film of mud in some places or a few inches of mud on top of the gravel and hard rock that makes up the ocean floor. If it is windy with waves, the muddy water comes in and the muddy water goes back out, leaving just the gravel and rock. There are mudflats that are always muddy that are revealed at low tide but these are ecologically sensitive and walking on them (most do it barefoot or with a sandal attached to the foot- no crocs or flip flops as they get sucked in!) is not encouraged and actually prohibited at the far ends of the beach.

If you don't want to get muddy at all, you just have to watch where you step! You can wash your feet off at the bootwash at the top of the stairs if you do get muddy. Going barefoot is NOT advisable. The sharp gravel due to erosion and the conglomerate rock make for many cut feet. The staff wear low or high hikers because of the rugged terrain/being on feet all day and walking a lot. Visitors should wear something with a sturdy sole- sneakers or sandals.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the excellent information. We will come prepared!