room choice: Fairmont Lake Louise

Aug 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

room choice: Fairmont Lake Louise

I'd appreciate in-put on which room/area to request. We've booked a "deluxe lakeview," but I understand that there's a new section and the original section. From what I can gather the newer section has temperature control, plus significantly larger rooms and bathrooms; the older section has better views. But the reservation folks haven't been as forthcoming on this subject as I wish. Since these accommodations will be a splurge, I'm hoping to be as pleased as possible. In-put from knowledgeable past guests would be much appreciated. (Would also be interested in learning which of the restaurants there you liked or not.)
Aug 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM

I have been to the Fairmont Lake Louise 6 times. I have stayed in the old and new wing. The old is getting retrofitted floor by floor and the new wing was built a couple of years ago. In the new wing some of the Lake view rooms are not as good as the old but I sill prefer the new wing. The bathrooms are nicer and I like the furnishings better. I have been very impressed with the customer service and would think if you are not happy they would change your room.
Aug 12th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your reply. It's interesting there there seems to be such a difference among rooms, even within the same price category. Since you say that "some" of the new lakeview rooms are not as good as the old, I wonder if you can suggest which rooms I might request. E.g. I remember reading somewhere that the new wing is farther from the lake than the old wing, even that some of the rooms in the new wing look out over (and hear!)all the awful tour buses. I wonder how I might avoid that. (I have mentined it to reservations, but being able to request particular room numbers I think might be even more helpful.) By the way, which restaurants at the hotel did you especially like? And did you visit Post Hotel restaurant or Baker's Creek? Thanks very much again.
Aug 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Hoping to get more feedback abt whether to ask for older or newer wing. (At those sky-high rates, we're hoping to be very pleased indeed.)
Thanks!
Aug 14th, 2006, 05:46 PM

Hi poss,

I called the Chateau Lake Louise and spoke with a friendly woman called Jane. She said that, while the bedrooms and bathrooms in the new wing were bigger, the views in the original wing were better. It was her opinion that the superior views of the original wing more than compensated for the smaller rooms in that wing. That is, the increased space was not enough of a factor, in her opinion, to tip the balance in favour of the new wing. She said that you could go a long way towards getting the best of both worlds if you asked for a newly renovated room in the old wing.

For what it's worth.
Aug 15th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Shall do, Rocky Angel. Thanks!
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM

The Post Hotel restaurant is expensive and the food and service is excellent. It has 2 sittings, has an amazing wine cellar that if you ask your waiter you can have a tour. You should make reservations ASAP. There is one waiter I really like and like sitting in his section, I have to find his name a get back to you. In the Fairmont there is a proper dining room, a Fondue-Swiss style restaurant, a old fashion salon, a deli, a casual restaurant where families go, and the lobby bar-with a limited menu with an amazing view of the lake. It really depends on what you want to eat. I have never eaten at the main dining room but the meals I have had at the conferences has been good. I would drive into Banff for more variety also there is a wonderful restaurant at Emerald Lake Inn again with a great view. If you check out Chow hound you will find some recommendation re Banff.