Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Romantic B&B in Niagara on the Lake (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/romantic-b-and-b-in-niagara-on-the-lake-465960/)

Carley Aug 9th, 2004 07:28 PM

Romantic B&B in Niagara on the Lake

It is our 35th Anniversary this month and would like to go to Niagara on the Lakefor some golf, theatre and great dining. Can anyone suggest a nice B&B and other dining options. Price is not a real concern but want something that is special. Thanks for your help.

Carley Aug 10th, 2004 03:49 PM

Any suggestions???

taggie Aug 10th, 2004 04:02 PM

Try looking at vintageinns.com - there are 4 inns in this group and they look very nice.
I've never stayed in any of them but am hoping to on my next trip out that way....

PLJ Aug 11th, 2004 02:49 AM

The "vintage inns" mentioned by taggie are a very good place to start. These four inns are certainly the names that come immedidately to mind when I think of the best known and long established inns of NOTL. It has been ten years but my husband and I did have a lovely one night stay at the Queen's Landing. I have not stayed at the other inns only dined there. They are all very well regarded.

As for a great dining suggestion ...

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...&start=200

PLJ Aug 11th, 2004 03:04 AM

That should be "immediately" ...

goldilox Aug 11th, 2004 11:29 AM

I won't rehash my not-so-good opinions of the Vintage Inns, though if you click on my name you can read them.

I am planning two trips to NOTL in October and have chosen Harbour House Hotel the first trip and Lakewinds the second.

Harbour House has received some great reviews here and on Tripadvisor, and Lakewinds is the favorite spot of some of my guests who are very very picky.

I do think either one would be a good choice for you, depending on what you are looking for. Harbour House is a small hotel with beautiful, but somewhat 'cookie cutter' rooms. Lakewinds has unique rooms, but as a B&B, there is less anonimity.

On a side note, I check in regularly with the Tripadvisor site of NOTL and it seems to be plagued by false reviews of one B&B in particular. I have complained to them twice, but they haven't done anything about it. So... as always... take those 'reviews' with a grain of salt.

Carley Aug 11th, 2004 06:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I have to agree that the Vintage Inns are nice but very expensive for what you get. Was really thinking B&B this trip but will keep searching.

goldilox Aug 12th, 2004 10:30 AM

How much are you looking to spend?

Carley Aug 12th, 2004 06:43 PM

Looking to spend up to $300 per night. Checked availability with Lakewinds and they are fully booked and can only get into the Harbour House Sunday night. Guess I should have been on this sooner.

goldilox Aug 13th, 2004 09:50 AM

Lakewinds is one of the three "Grand Estates" as they call themselves. The other two are Brockamour and Shannaleigh and are worth a look. They all fit into you 'budget'.
http://www.grandestates.niagara.com/

corkyhart Aug 15th, 2004 07:31 PM

I've heard that John's Gate is fabulous! I have also seen some negative reviews of the Vintage group. Check out TravelAdvisor.com. This is a great way to see objective reviews from people who have stayed at various facilities recently.

djkbooks Aug 15th, 2004 10:09 PM

You haven't mentioned when you're going or how long you plan to stay...

If you go to www.niagaraonthelake.com or www.shawfest.com, you'll find a fill in form where you can indicate all your preferences, whereupon you'll be contacted by the most appealing accomodations for same.

We did this one year and found incredibly romantic (and reasonably priced) accomdations for a one week stay.

goldilox Aug 16th, 2004 02:07 PM

Funny Corkyhart mentioned John's Gate.... that is the very B&B I was referring to when I said I suspected false reviews on Tripadvisor.

If you read the B&B's reviews, most of them use very similar wording and I find it very interesting that most also mention the host by name... and all happen to spell her name correctly (and her name is not a common name with simple spelling... )

I believe I read that Amazon was having so much trouble with false book reviews that they now require a credit card number to post a review. I am sure as other sites find themselves similarly abused, they will consider such a stance.

As a contributor to review sites I would happily do so... that way, as a 'consumer' of reviews I know they are all legitimate.

smartin Aug 17th, 2004 01:55 PM

Have been to Niagara on the Lake several times and this year over Labor Day weekend we are staying at Angel of the Lake- there website I believe is www.angelofthelake.com- the upper level room with nice porch may be just what your looking for- back yard looks quiet and nice- for dining would recommend Hillebrand Winery outside patio- delightful food and beautiful! I personally would not consider any of the Vintage Inns- our first time we stayed at the Pillar and Post- very pricey and there are other great B and B's to stay- if you are driving- make sure to take your bikes and picnic things for the wineries! Great weekend spot! Let me know if I can be of any further help! Susan

Carley Aug 17th, 2004 08:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I have booed two nights at Inn on the twenty. Booked the golf package which includes 2 rounds of golf, 3 course dinner, room and breakfast. We are also going to do the couples massage at the Spa. Hope to go into NOTL on Monday for a bike ride and picnic. We are staying in the Winemaker's cottage which sounds really nice.

goldilox Aug 18th, 2004 11:45 AM

Have fun... and be sure to report back to us!

Cher Aug 24th, 2004 11:45 AM

A few years back we stayed at The Cranberry House and really liked it. We booked the large room on the front of the house upstairs which had a great bathroom with whirlpool tub. It's a Victorian style house, but everything has been renovated top-to-bottom. The location is great - right in the center of town on a side street so you can walk to everything.

I've also stayed at Queen's Landing which is very nice, but has more of an upscale, small hotel atmosphere than B&B.

Rachelle Feb 21st, 2005 06:05 AM

Just doing a search and bumping up an old thread. I'm looking for a bed & breakfast within short walking distance of NOTL shopping that has a king/queen room with in-suite bath on the first floor. Not looking to spend $300 a night, no more than $150. Everyone mentions the same main ones, i.e. Bank House, Harbour House, Pillar & Post and John's Gate. Any other lesser known ones that are real gems? Speaking of John's Gate, I also was suspicious when I saw the numerous glowing reports on Trip Advisor. I did find it odd that they all mentioned the hostess by name (and a weird one it was) and spelled it all the same. There were a few genuine negative reports, which said she was rather strict, rude, and uppity.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of B & B listings on the Internet. Just looking for personnal recommendations and comments.

Thanks.

tinathetoad Feb 21st, 2005 07:18 AM

Just went to Harbour House and was not dissapointed. Look up my trip review. We had a great time. Email me if you want and have questions. We were just there3 weeks ago.

Rachelle Feb 21st, 2005 07:35 AM

Thanks, but their rates range from $250.00-$375.00 a night. Need something less pricey.