Ohio to NC Fall Road Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a week long (roundtrip) road trip with 19-year old from Oberlin, Ohio to Pinehurst, NC in October. Passions are theater productions, history, Celtic music and vegetarian food. We have not traveled by car in this area before so I'm hoping for tips and suggestions about wonderful things to see and do.

Thanks,
Ceili
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Assume you are asking about places in NC. Are you taking I64/77 through WV? If so, wanted to mention that a great place to have lunch and stretch your legs is the Tamarack in Beckley WV.

The Greenbrier (5 star resort) manages the Taste of West Virginia food court at the Tamarack -- the food is fantastic.
Goto http://www.tamarackwv.com/.

The Tamarack also has awesome crafts made by West Virginians (one coffee table consists of a sculpture and sells for $19,000). There is a wide variety of quality crafts, items, and food for sale.

The Travel Plaza sits along the interstate, the Tamarack sits "behind" it on the hillside.

Since you are into hisotry, also wanted to mention the Coal Exhibition in Beckley. You go into the mine in authentic "man cars". http://www.beckleymine.com/becm/coal_overview.cfm

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:05 PM

You might consider a stop in Winston Salem. We have the School of the Arts, which provides excellent theatrical productions, Old Salem, one of the best historical villages in the USA, and we even have the Celtic Cafe. You should check us out, right off US 52 S.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM

PS The Bow and Fiddle Society specializes in Celtic music and they are located in Winston Salem. Try the food at Mary's Of Course (near Old Salem) for great vegetarian. Two other restaurants, simplyyummy in Reynolda Village and Sweet Potatoes in downtown WS offer good vegetarian options.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Check out Barter Theater in Abingdon, VA (the state theater of Virginia), in the southwest corner of the state, and Flat Rock Playhouse, in Flat Rock, NC (the state theater of North Carolina). Both are located in a great part of the country for October (although make your plans now--it's crowded in these parts in October), and there is a huge amount of scenic and historic attractions in the Flat Rock area (the theater is located adjacent to the Carl Sandburg NHS, and just a stone's throw from Henderstonville and Asheville. one of the most vegetarian-friendly cities in the nation). It's close enough to being on the way from Oberlin to Pinehurst to warrant going a little out of your way.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Not sure if your dates are flexible, or if you're willing to drive a bit out of the way (sorry for butting in if not!)...but I've recently seen ads for a vegetarian festival in Charlottesville, VA. Website is http://www.cvillevegfest.org/