Needing Expertise: Summer 2014 Road Trip Vancouver to Moab

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I am looking for some assistance, advice and expertise.

I am planning a surprise road trip (ROUND TRIP) for my partner who is an avid mountain biker and 4x4-er. We live in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia and want to take 2 weeks to drive to Moab so he can spend his birthday doing a bucket list item: off roading and biking there. Neither of us has ever been to this part of the States and we want to explore and see the amazing sights along the way.

We are most interested in scenic attractions, like national parks, caves, waterfalls, geysers, etc. Would anyone be able to help me with a route and plan for this trip so I can get started? We will be traveling in an FJ Cruiser with my senior mother and dog. All are good travellers! I want to make it the summer road trip of a lifetime for everyone!

I'm looking for a website/app/person (!) to help me plan every detail like what routes to take, where to stay and what the best sights to see would be. And of course, planning different routes for departure and return.

A few notes: we have spent time in Seattle and Portland so we could skip that. Same with Vegas. We are not after shopping/entertainment but more seeing amazing natural sights and staying in some wonderful places.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
You quickest route is via Yakima (I-82) to I-84 stopping at Ontario Oregon. From Ontario through SLC it is about 10 hours to Moab.
On the way back you could turn off in Yakima and come through Mt. Rainier National Park.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You tagged California/Nevada/Oregon . . . sorry but in two weeks you don't have time for this round trip meandering around like that.

From Okanagan to say Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe and Moab and then the most direct route back to Okanagan is more than 3,000 miles and close to 60 hours 'car time'. That is w/o any stops - and w/o any other National parks which would add hundreds of additional miles.

So I'd just concentrate on getting to Moab and back.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 09:58 PM

Consider the temperature in Moab for your activities before making a detailed plan.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 03:45 AM

It will be very hot I'm Moab, so plan the outdoor activities for early in the morning or late in the afternoon and do the in the air-conditioned vehicle activities when it gets too hot as long as your vehicle can take the heat. Do have about ten times the water you think you need and remember to give the dog water frequently too.

One way consider going to Dinosaur NP before or after you hit Salt Lake City. It should be cooler there at elevation.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 05:24 AM

The hot rocks in Utah are not good for the dog's feet. Most NP's don't allow dogs very far from your car.
Unless your mother can drive the FJ to the other end of the trail (with the dog), she and the dog will be hot in the FJ.
If you don't spend too much time in one place, you should be able to get to Moab area (Arches), Monument Valley (drive through), Hoover Dam (brief stop), Yosemite and Crater Lake.
Board the dog with a friend and turn around when mom says it's time to head back to the car.
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Tom's 'itinerary' is 3500+ miles and easily 65 hours behind the wheel. So even driving 8 hours a day (meaning 10 hours w/ just minimal stops) you will spend nearly 9 full days in the car . . . and the dog will not be allowed many places, must be on a leash at all times, and cannot be left in the vehicle.

Does not sound fun to me . . .
Old Mar 25th, 2014, 02:09 PM

Yup 65 hours driving, 111 hours sleeping and 160 hours in sightseer mode.