Road Trip in Ontario/Quebec

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 08:24 AM
Parikh

Road Trip in Ontario/Quebec

I want to take a road trip during the summer of 2000 through Ontario and lower Quebec. I live in Chicago, and would like to visit a good combination of cities and rural attractions. I have made up my mind on <BR>visiting Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. If anybody has any suggestions on what to to in those cities or anywhere else, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Brian Kilgore

Add Kingston to your list, and drive in a circle from Windsor, along the shore of Lake Erie (Pelee) to Niagara Falls and Niagara ont he Lake, then Toronto, then to Kingston via a mix of Highway 401 (like an interstate) and Highway 2 through Port Hope and Cobourg. visit Prince Edward County (south of Belleville) and visit the 1000 Islands after Kinsstron. Then to Montreal. From Montreal, back to Ottawa, and from Ottawa west through Algonquin Park to Huntsville and perhaps further west to the shores of Georgian Bay. Then turn south. You might want to gho back into the US at Sarnia /Port Huron. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Brian Kilgore

Add Kingston to your list, and drive in a circle from Windsor, along the shore of Lake Erie (Pelee) to Niagara Falls and Niagara ont he Lake, then Toronto, then to Kingston via a mix of Highway 401 (like an interstate) and Highway 2 through Port Hope and Cobourg. visit Prince Edward County (south of Belleville) and visit the 1000 Islands after Kingston. Then to Montreal. From Montreal, back to Ottawa, and from Ottawa west through Algonquin Park to Huntsville and perhaps further west to the shores of Georgian Bay. Then turn south. You might want to gho back into the US at Sarnia /Port Huron. <BR> <BR>BAK <BR>

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 06:07 PM
louise gingras

Hi, The previous post is certainly right on, it is a beautiful region to visit. If time permits, instead of going south when in the Huntsville area, dare to turn north and visit some beautiful country, like North Bay, Sudbury (Science North Center) Timmins (gold Mine Tour) Cochrane and take the polar Bear Express all the way to Moosonee, Kapuskasing the model city of the north, onto the Train in Hearst to go through the Agawa Canyon on your way to Sault Ste Marie and then back to the US. The sites are interesting and the people are extraordinary in northern Ontario. There are lakes everywhere, no traffic jams....dare to explore! whatever you choose enjoy Canada.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 12:33 PM
Bob

When in Toronto, check out the nightlife and the restaurants. They are better than the ones in Ottawa and Montreal (which I am sure others will disagree with). <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 02:30 PM
Daniel

Dont forget to add Quebec City. It worth the 150 miles from Montreal.

Old Nov 20th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Daniel W.

Bob is correct...others do disagree with him. While the restaurants are very good in Toronto, there is also an unbelievable selection of amazing ones in Montréal. Whether the restaurants are better or not in one city versus the other is certainly debatable...but the NIGHTLIFE is unquestionably way better in Montréal than in Toronto A little Montreal-Toronto rivalry for you.

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 04:36 PM
Bill

Try coming directly north through Thunder Bay - go to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park over the north shore of lake Superior a beautiful drive. Go to Ottawa up to Montreal down the St Lawrence River through Kingston(stopping of course) to Toronto and home through the US. <BR>Go river rafting on the Ottawa River(Owl Rafting)good for all ages <BR>Don't forget the Parliment Buildings in Ottawa - have fun

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:16 AM
aaw

plll

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Matt

Give yourself at least 5 days in Toronto-the cuty is huge and full of tourist attractions.Bring credit cards-the shopping is world class and extremely cheap.You definetely wont regret it. You need 2 days in Montreal-its a bit boring at times, but it has some intersting sights. Youll want 3 days in Ottawa. The museums are great, the people friendly. You may want to take a side trip to Algonquin Park. It is one of th most beutiful places in the world. <BR>Above all, enjoy yourself, and Bienvenue

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 03:07 PM
Vanessa

While in Ottawa, be sure to visit the Muesum of Civilization in Hull. I'm not much of a muesum person but I loved this one. <BR> <BR>We took the boat trip on the Rideau river and they give you the option of disembarking the Muesum.

Old Jan 25th, 2000, 09:45 AM
Daniel Williams

Dear Parikh, <BR> <BR>I disagree with Matt who says 5 days Toronto, 3 days Ottawa, 2 days Montreal. I would say a better split would be 4 days Montreal, 3 days Toronto, 2 days Ottawa, 2 days Quebec City. <BR> <BR>I don't know where Matt gets the idea that Montreal is boring...it's anything BUT. The city is incredibly cosmopolitan and the joie de vivre of the city is evident in many places. The restaurants are phenomenal. Check out rue St. Denis, boul. St. Laurent and l'ave. Mont Royal for café ambience. Old Montreal is interesting historically although is quite touristy. Nightlife is incredible if that interests you (I honestly believe as interesting, if not quite as varied as NY...and in my opinion BETTER than that of Toronto). If you like shopping, you can get great clothes at incredible prices. I would definitely call Montreal shopping equally world-class and, apologies to Matt, the deals are better than those in Toronto, in my experience. <BR> <BR>The expression "if you're bored in New York, it's your own damn fault", I believe also holds true in Montreal. <BR> <BR>Rural areas of interest; Lake Meech and Mont-Saint-Sauveur are supposed to be delightful... <BR> <BR>Good luck! Dan <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 09:44 PM
Neil Jamieson

You should visit Northern Ontario!

Old Feb 4th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Angela

Here are some ideas for things to do in Toronto: <BR>The Beaches (begins at the corner of Queen St. & Woodbine, SE corner of the city). China Town (Spadina Ave., begin from Dundas and head north, just west of Yonge St.); the Danforth - Greek Town (Danforth Rd, runs east of the Don Vally Parkway); Little Italy (College & Bathurst?); the Ontario Science Centre; The Royal Ontario Museum; Toronto Island (check out Wards Island - get little cottages, Centreville for the kids; catch the ferry across at the bottom of Bay St., which ends at Queens Quay, west side of the Harbour Castle Weston, south side); Little India (Gerrard St. & Coxwell, east end of the city); brunch at Movenpick (Sunday on York St., $25pp, incredible food); shopping in Yorkville (runs parallel to Bloor St. between Avenue Rd. & Bay St., heart of the city). <BR> <BR>Events going on in Toronto in the summer: Beaches Jazz Festivel (around July 25th), Symphoney of Fire (fireworks, don't remember the date), Caravana (cultural pavillions are set up around the city for about 2 weeks, July I think). <BR> <BR>Last thought: I agrre that you should consider 1000 islands trip, and up north if you have the time. Quebec city in the summer is great - check out the old part of town for some great restuarants and live street performers. When in Ottawa try to get to the Gatinos (that is the phonetic spelling, NOT the correct spelling, anyway - great park, incredible views of the area). Hope this helps!

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 10:20 AM
D

sssssfg

Old Apr 13th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Rick

I agree with al of those ideas, being from the area.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 12:42 PM
Daniel

If you happen to like live theatre check out the Stratford Festival. They have a great repetoire of Shakespear and classic & modern plays. Well worth a visit if you enjoy theatre <BR> <BR>www.stratford-festival.on.ca