6 day Road Trip from Santa Rosa to Seattle

Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 day Road Trip from Santa Rosa to Seattle

Hi All,

I am in the process of planning a 6 day West Coast Road trip. The trip would be from Aug 31-Sept 5th. Ideally, I would like to fly into Santa Rosa, rent a car and make my way up to Big Sur. From there, I plan to continue traveling north. Tentatively making a brief stop in San Fran for a few hours, then onward to the Redwoods. I would like to check out Portland before making the final destination of Washington (Olympic National Park). I would fly out of Seattle on the last day (evening time).

Obviously, I have not listed specific details. My main question before I start planning specifics is if this is a realistic time frame for such a trip?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

-Christine
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 07:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> Ideally, I would like to fly into Santa Rosa, rent a car and make my way up to Big Sur. Big Sur > SF > the Redwoods > Portland > ONP > Seattle.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 07:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeing with all above. 6 days is not enough time and the order of places, well, is out of order
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 09:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to Fodor's!

Six days is not enough to accomplish what you want to do, in fact by including Olympic NP it's really not doable even if you dropped the Big Sur portion.

You need a minimum of 2 1/2 days to see Olympic NP, 1 in Portland to see the Columbia Gorge, 1 to get to the redwoods from SF and 1 1/2 to get from the redwoods to Portland with even a little bit of the Oregon coast thrown in, and 1 for Seattle. That comes to 7, of which 6 would be spent almost entirely in the car.

Not to mention you're traveling at the peak of peaks for hotel demand, and will be paying a fortune for a one-way car rental on short notice.

Up to you, but I'd be heading back to the drawing board.
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a Plan B, I just checked and the San Jose Mercury News is reporting the Soberanes fire will not be contained until the end of this month. It is only 18% now.