Road trip from NYC to Quebec City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of driving instead of flying; if I take the route through CT, MA, and VT, is this an easy & scenic road? What are some good stopping places for breaks & meals? any MUST SEE sights? Thanks for suggestions.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:23 PM

I had some thoughts as I've gone from Montreal to New York City over land many a time, but wasn't sure which route you meant. There's really a lot in the region you suggest, so some may be having trouble narrowing things down, and I wouldn't try to do it all; pick a few spots and enjoy. I thought if you went up via Vermont, you may want to go back via Upstate New York.

Burlington entered my head, which I thought quite pleasant-seeming when I visited aeons back. Montpelier looks lovely. Lake George is a common stopover that my parents have enjoyed should you come back via Upstate NY. Saratoga Springs has piqued my curiosity as well.

Once in Quebec, there's tons of terrific places too... Montreal isn't a popular tourist destination for nothing. The Eastern Townships, Monteregie and Mauricie regions have some real gems... I've enjoyed Chambly and its fort, as well as the old part of Trois-Rivieres best.

Have fun! Daniel
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:02 PM

An easy and scenic route would be US-7 north just east of the NY border. From NYC head north on I-684 to I-84 east to US-7. This avoids the I-95 congestion in Westchester County and lower Fairfield County.

US-7 goes thru some smaller towns north of Danbury, CT and is considered scenic. Along the route you may see covered bridges in Bulls Bridge or Cornwall Bridge. A bit north is Kent, CT. This is a pleasant old New England town. Just north of town is Kent Falls - take a few minutes to walk up along the falls - quite picturesque. Cross into Massachusetts.

Great Barrington, MA is a fine old town that many people enjoy visiting. Then north is Stockbridge where you can visit the Norman Rockwell Museum which displays his works. (Rockwell was a noted illustrator in the 30s thru the 60s and was famous for his Saturday Evening Post covers.) Stockbridge is also a picturesque town and caters to tourists.

Just west of Pittsfield is Hancock Shaker Village. Then north of Pittsfield is Williamstown with Clark Institute, a fine art gallery. Then into Vermont.

In Bennington, VT consider going east on Route 9 a few miles. Then head north on route 100. This is a scenic country road with relatively little traffic. Pres. Coolidge's homestead is along the road. Then head east to White Water Junction and head north on I-91 to Quebec.

This route is easy - it avoids major cities and is scenic with some points of interest that may or may not interest you considering your time frame, which you did not mention.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:31 PM

We drove this route many years ago and it was very enjoyable.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for some good suggestions.

I was trying to compare I-87 through NY and the route I had above. I don't care too much about all the toll roads in NY.

The ease of drive is important; I have only 2 days to do this, and would like to choose an interesting town about mid-way to spend a night. I didn't know that the Norman Rockwell museum is in Stockbridge. would be interesting to see.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 06:45 AM

The Norman Rockwell museum, to us - we're in our 80s, is part of Americana and our youth. In the 30s and 40s people would rush to read Life magazine and Saturday Evening Post. Rockwell's illustrations show the down to earth small town events - eating an ice cream cone, etc. During WW2 his Four Freedoms illustrations were considered a morale booster.

Whether you'd be interested, only you can tell.