Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Revised 2-Week Nova Scotia Itinerary. All Suggestions Very Welcome! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/revised-2-week-nova-scotia-itinerary-all-suggestions-very-welcome-349747/)

ckwald Apr 25th, 2008 08:06 AM

Revised 2-Week Nova Scotia Itinerary. All Suggestions Very Welcome!

So, we've thought about your suggestions on our first attempt at an itinerary and have come up with this as a revised version. We'd be going in the first two weeks of October.

The main weakness I see is that we are doing a lot of one-nighters (ahem). Is there a way to improve on this plan and still see most of the places we're targeting without also adding an awful lot of back-tracking? The Marine Drive at the end is simply to get us back to the airport in Halifax.

Your thoughts would be very welcome!

Day 1) Philadelphia to Halifax
Day 2) Halifax
Day 3) Halifax to Lunenberg, & drive to Wolfville at end of day. Stay at In Wolfville
Day 4) Daytrip to Annapolis Royal, stay 2nd night In Wolfville
Day 5) Wolfville to Pictou. Stay in Pictou.
Day 6) Explore Pictou & area, stay 2nd night in Pictou.
Day 7) Pictou to Antigonish to Mabou. Stay in Mabou.
Day 8) Explore around Mabou & drive to Cheticamp. Stay in Cheticamp.
Day 9) Cheticamp to Ingonish. Stay in Ingonish.
Day 10) Ingonish to Baddeck & explore around town & Bras D’Or Lake area, etc. for two days. Stay in Baddeck.
Day 11) More exploring using Baddeck as base.
Day 12) Baddeck to Liscomb Mills, overnight in Liscomb Mills.
Day 13) Leisurely drive along Eastern Shore to Halifax Airport, overnight airport hotel.
Day 14) Fly from Halifax to Phila

paradisefound Apr 25th, 2008 02:56 PM

I guess what you're really finding is that you can't have it both ways - if you want to stay in one place for any time then you have to some backtracking. The planthat I originally roughed out for you to do Cape breton had you spending 2 nights in the mabou area and doing the north west portion of the trail from there, then driving around the Trail to sydney for 2 days to do Louisbourg etc. If you aren't going to do it that way and are instead spending some time in baddeck, then really you might as well go right from Pictou to Baddeck and spend your entire time in cae Breton there doing day trips the various attractions. In the end, you will probably find that the most relaxing. The driving time from Baddeck all the way around the Cabot Trail and back to Baddeck is only3 1/2 to 4 hours. Baddeck to mabou area is under an hour, Baddeck to Louisbourg is 1 hr 20 minutes etc.

Cheers

hrlygrl May 2nd, 2008 09:26 AM

We went with really no itenerary and drove most of N.S. in 1 week on a motorcycle so 2 weeks should give you plenty of time. We didnt stay in Halifax very long (we liked the country side) The most amazing scenery was on the Cabot trail it took us a whole day (we had many stops and didnt want to leave. Bras'Dors was beautiful. We made no reservations (1st week of July) and had no problem getting accomidations. Maybe leave yourself open for a little change in schedule. Dress warm though It was cold in July!

oliverandharry May 2nd, 2008 02:57 PM

Agree - don't bother stopping over in Cheticamp or in Ingonish - the distances of those legs are too short. Just base in Baddeck.

Kwoo May 4th, 2008 06:22 AM

To hrlygrl,
I responded to your reply to my question about accommodations & saw your reply here, too. How cold was it in July? What did you need for warm clothing? It must be colder close to the water than inland, right? Was the Cabot Trail colder than other places? We will be in the Annapolis Valley/Fundy shore region, Cabot Trail & Halifax.
Thanks.
kwoo