Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Recommendations for Montreal stores selling beautiful BOOTS?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/recommendations-for-montreal-stores-selling-beautiful-boots-550952/)

bettyo70 Aug 11th, 2005 04:13 AM

Recommendations for Montreal stores selling beautiful BOOTS??

Hi Gang,

I'm looking for beautiful, knee-length SUEDE BOOTS in Montreal. Can anyone recommend some nice boutiques?

I tend to avoid the big shopping malls.

Looking for well-made and interesting designs (not too conservative)!

Thanks for your time!

--Betty

faithie Aug 11th, 2005 05:22 AM

St. denis and St. Laurent have really cool shops ..... Also the store " Brown's " has nice things .

Lois_L Aug 11th, 2005 05:25 AM

Betty, you are headed to the right place! Montreal is a mecca for beautiful footwear shopping, and particularly for winter boots. My favorite store is Brown's, a Montreal-based chain with stores on St. Catherine Street, in the main shopping drag, also in Place Ville Marie downtown, and in pretty much every mall. The St. Catherine St. branch features very wild styles, but Place Ville Marie is more ladylike, so you may want to go there. It is not really a big mall, but with the Montreal winters, it makes sense to cluster shops indoors. Also in Place Ville Marie, on St. Catherine St., and everywhere, is FX LaSalle, which specializes in the sexy styles favored by the women of Quebec. These are only two of my favorites out of many options . . . In general, I would start out in Place Ville Marie, walk up to St. Catherine and turn west. By the time you get to the end of the line of best stores, around Crescent St., 10 min. walk away, you should be satisfied. Be sure to make a small detour at Metcalfe St. to go to Les Cours Mont-Royal, indoor shopping 1/2 block towards de Maisonneuve. In the lower level there, you'll find a nice "healthy shoes" store called Terra Firma.

bettyo70 Aug 11th, 2005 05:54 AM

Faithie and Lois: Wonderful advice! Does "Brown's" have a website just to get an overall look of their merchandise?

Thank you!

Lois_L Aug 11th, 2005 06:41 AM

It is www.brownsshoes.com

bettyo70 Aug 11th, 2005 07:44 AM

Thanks again, Lois!

mitchdesj Aug 12th, 2005 02:47 AM

Brown's also has a department at Holt Renfrew, they carry a more upscale line; they have started to get the boots in recently... Ogilvy's shoe department is also worth a look.
On St. Denis, look into Scarpa and also Aldo...
Bellini on Ste Catherine St ( near Peel) is worth a browse .

so you should prolong your stroll to the west to end at de la Montagne street and ste catherine st. that's where Ogilvy's is, walk up to Sherbrooke st. to hit Holt Renfrew, stop at Speccio on your way up, on the east side of de la Montagne, just above de Maisonneuve, it's a fun shop for shoes and bags.
This month, new arrivals are trickling in; I've been on the prowl for suede boots also.

bettyo70 Aug 12th, 2005 07:17 AM

Hi Mitch!

Maybe we'll bump into you while shopping...

mitchdesj Aug 14th, 2005 02:31 AM

who knows ? I certainly hope you have fun in Montreal , and do post a trip/shopping report on your return !!