Peking Duck in Toronto

Search

Peking Duck in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peking Duck in Toronto

Does anyone know of a restaurant in Toronto that specializes in Peking duck? There used to be a place called Champion House on Dundas but it's gone now. We have houseguests coming who love PD and would like to find a good place for dinner.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 03:48 PM

goddess, try the Canada forum, or ask the moderators to move your question.
Old Aug 1st, 2018, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

emalloy, this is the Canada forum, isn't it?
I thought that's where I posted it (with a note in the lounge). I remember choosing Ontario.
Where did you see it?
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 05:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried to post a link but it doesn't seem to be working - We have had Peking Duck at Lai Wah Heen restaurant and it was very good. We've eaten there a number of times over the years and we really enjoy the atmosphere and the food. Seems that the hotel in which it is located has changed - used to be the Metropolitan.
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, tom42. I'll definitely look into that!
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 03:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Have any restaurants updated their menus to now offer Beijing Duck?
Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Ya. Tastes just the same!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 04:10 AM

GTG - we ate at Champion House once a week back in the day! I'll post this question on a Toronto food FB page and report back.

tom42 - still time to sign up for the Toronto GTG!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 04:17 AM

Just searched the site for previous Peking Duck questions - several hits. Most recent (by the most experienced, prolific poster on Chinese GTA Restaurants) is Peking Duck Kitchen in Scarborough. Quote:

"Nestled in a nondescript strip plaza next to the railway bridge on Sheppard and Midland. This restaurant occupied the place once owned by Toronto best ‘ Won-Ton noodle’ joint – ‘Chicken & Noodles Restaurant ‘. Interior of the restaurant was cramped but cozy. A pseudo-‘open kitchen’ with a huge glass panel window displaying the huge oven and the chefs busy preparing the ‘ lacquered color, pumped up ‘ bird was strategically located for most patrons to see.Our party of 7 ordered TWO ducks in order to satisfy our craving. In addition to the traditional pancake crepe and lettuce wraps, we also requested the carcass to be prepared with a rare option - fried with seasoned salt and pepper. Crispy KFC cousin kicked up a notch?! As well, to augment ‘the star’, we tried a whole slew of other rare duck based and traditional Northern style dishes. 'Stirred fry trio of Duck meat, liver and webs in wine sauce', 'Stirred fry sliced leg of pork with chili pepper and leeks', 'Fried king prawns with salted duck egg yolks', 'Stirred fry pot-pourri of egg plant, roasted potatoes and green pepper in brown sauce', Scallion pan cakes, hand-pulled noodles etc...…to name a few.Although the duck was excellent, with ultra crispy and fat-less skin, accompanied by super thin and delicate pancake wrappers and home-made Hoi-sin sauce. To our surprise, the stars of the meal were not the duck but literally ALL of the other ‘ supporting cast ‘ dishes! So well executed with incredibly complex taste profile and aromatic smoky wok-hay infusion….in my book, they were all winners! The aforementioned four dishes were all examples of killer stand-out creations!! What a nice revelation to see a Northern Style Chinese restaurant in Toronto outshining some of their supposedly superior Cantonese brethren! This is definitely a candidate worthy of multiple repeat visits! "

There are others on the site - can't recall if you're on FB? I could add you to the FB Page?
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Elizabeth - I won't be in town for the GTG. Going to Los Cabos from the 18th-25th. Hope you get a good turn out!
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Elizabeth -- I'm drooling just reading that review! And thanks for the FB offer but no I'm not on FB. Maybe soon, though, for food and music posts.

Here's a question that just occurred to me today. One of the dinner guests (not one of the two PD lovers) is allergic to garlic and I'm guessing there's going to be garlic in that meal. What do you think?
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 03:30 AM

I think there will certainly be garlic in some of the secondary dishes.......maybe not when the duck is first presented.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 05:38 AM

Well, now it looks like we need to add a stop at Peking Duck Kitchen to the GTG.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

I think you're right about the garlic, Elizabeth. When I first thought about this PD plan, it was just the four of us but since then another couple has been invited and that includes the non-garlic eater.

elberko, a fine idea!
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 03:21 AM

Hi ! check Lai Wah Heen
High-end Chinese cuisine & popular dim sum served in an elegant room at the Metropolitan Hotel.
Located in: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Address: 108 Chestnut St, Toronto, ON M5G 1R3, Canada
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 11:30AM
Civic Holiday might affect these hours

Menu: laiwahheen.com
Reservations: opentable.ca
Phone: +1 416-977-9899
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Juan, I'm going to hold on to the recommendation for another time. We're now being joined by another couple, one of whom has an allergy to garlic so that dinner would be too difficult for her to contend with. But next time the Peking duck lovers come to town, I'm definitely taking them to Lai Wah Heen.