Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ramada on Granville (S. of Davie)?: Safe to stay?

Mar 16th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Narrowing things down. Cat123 writes that part of Granville is sketchy, but part is OK. Is the location I listed not the "downtown" part, which Cat123 suggests one avoid? Or, is it far enough southwest to be OK?
Mar 16th, 2004, 04:38 PM

Hi. Me again.

It is on the downtown part - pawn shops, sex shops, nightclubs and bars down the way etc. The area is very busy/noisy so although not very nice to look at it is quite safe. You may run into the odd hopped-up character or two but they are generally pretty benign. Granville itself can also be loud. But, again, you are probably not going to be there much and I think you said you are a guy so maybe you are not that concerned about it...You can just walk one block west as soon as you get out of the door and avoid Granville almost completely.

I personally think that the other option you are looking at on Robson Street is better situated than that one, and you will enjoy the city more if you stay there, but then I am a girl and pickier than most. If it is a big price difference, then you may not care.

Does anyone else want to jump in???
Mar 16th, 2004, 06:22 PM

OK, responding to my own post since I just drove past - by the time you get to Davie, Granville is not as loud/sketchy, but I still wouldn't think you want to stay there instead of Robson St. On the plus side, Bin 941, which is a fabulous little restaurant is right at Davie and Burrard and shouldn't be missed. It is a fusion-tapas place that has amazing food at low prices.
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM

Granville and Davie probably wouldn't be high on my list of "scenic" areas downtown but would be safe as is most of downtown (other than eastern gastown essentially). Two blocks east of Granville and Davie and one north is the notorious "Korner Kafe" (at Richards and Helmeken - notorious for the...employees...standing around outside if you take my meaning). On the other hand it would be within walking (stumbing) distance of most of the clubs of the Granville Mall.
If my choices for a hotel downtown were Granville and Davie or Robson, I'd choose Robson without a second thought.

** side note - excelleent middle-eastern "hookah" room on the south side Davie at just east of Granville - a novelty if nothing else.
Mar 17th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Cat123 and BikerScott, thanks. That pretty much salts it for me. Granville it is! Just kidding! I thought it'd eventually be Robson, so I'll see. Cities generally try to protect their prime tourist spots. I CAN take care of myself, but it is a vacation after all and I did not want the thought of having to do so as a recurring aspect of the trip.

On another note, I like boats. Any trips I should take? I'm thinking a water taxi tour on the creek, some kind of harbor cruise, maybe something to Victoria. San Juan islands? Seattle? I have about 4 days.

Any clubs that play primarily R&B/Top 40 with a diverse, late 20s/early 30s, casual/relaxed crowd?

Which non-touristy restaurants that serve relatively inexpensive but good food in addition to Bin 941?
Mar 17th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Restaurants:

Try the Japanese pubs I mentioned in another post - prices are great, food is great. Hapa Izakaya is the hippest one and is right on Robson. They are not sushi places but sort of Tokyo-style Japanese tapas.

Tapas is really big in Vancouver, and may restaurants (such as Bin 941) do really neat things with small dishes. Another good tapas place on Robson is called Tapastree.

There are some casual lunchy restaurants around Robson street that aren't bad - the Cactus Club on Robson is good for people watching and even locals go there. The Keg on Thurlow just north of Robson is a big lunch/after work hangout that has good food/service. Lots of tourists always wind up at Joe Fortes which is a San Francisco style seafood house across the street from the Keg but I think it is overpriced with boring food.

For a nice dinner downtown, the Raincity Grill in English Bay is expensive but has a wonderful view and is a great expression of westcoast cuisine. Parkside Restaurant on Haro Street is nearby and brand new - it's getting great reviews (www.parksiderestaurant.ca).

For a drink, walk down to Cardero's at Coal Harbour (just east of Stanley Park near the Westin Bayshore hotel right on the water). It is a beautiful spot on a nice day and always packed. The food is mediocre and expensive but the drinks are fine and the location unbeatable.

There are good sushi places everywhere.

Clubs:

This is a tough one in Vancouver. Many places have enforced dress/"style" codes - meaning they let in whoever they think looks best. This is one of the strangest things in a city that is otherwise very laid back. I'm really not an expert on them since it's not my scene, but....

You can tell alot about the clubs on Granville Street just by walking past the lineups. I think you should do that and make up your own mind. Skybar at Granville & Smithe is pretty popular but not at all laid back. Caprice is on Granville and the minimum age is 21 there so it may be better.

You will likely be more interested in some of the places in Gastown like Club 7 on Alexander St, which is more casual new school hip-hop, R&B. Also Sonar on Water Street and the Purple Onion which is somewhere down there too. Much of the trouble in Gastown starts up as the bars beginning to close at 3 or 4am so I wouldn't stay around too late and if you see trouble just go the other way.

The Denman Street Freehouse on Davie is more of a bar but still pretty happening. It is in the gay area but with a mixed crowd, relatively speaking.

For both clubs and restaurants, I would pick up the free local "Georgia Straight" newspaper when you get here to see what's going on. They also have a website at www.straight.com. You can also check out Vancouver Magazine's website at www.vanmag.com which has restaurant blurbs and listings which are very reliable.
Mar 17th, 2004, 12:46 PM

And for boats:

The water taxis as cute and cheap and you can take one over to Kitsilano to get a bit of a view.

You can also take the Seabus across the harbour from downtown to Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver. Lonsdale has a nice little market area that you could have lunch at and then take the Seabus back.

You can also rent a boat or look for tours. Some of them go from Granville Island (just look for the marina area and you will see signs).

You could try taking a ferry to one of the islands if you are adventurous, but it may be more hassle than it's worth for such a short visit. To take a ferry to Victoria you need to schlep to the ferry terminal in Tswassen which is about 45 minutes from downtown and then after you get off the ferry at the other side you need to drive into Victoria (about 3 hours each way, realistically). You could take a little ferry from Horsehoe Bay in West Vancouver to Bowen Island or the Sunshine Coast but I personally found both those places to be kind of boring.
Mar 17th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Cat123 and everyone else. I'm piecing it together.

Cat123, I will go to Gastown at night to test my mettle. Nah, just to hear some good music, meet some new people, and dance a bit (maybe). I'll leave before the lunacy starts. But as I wrote, I can take care of myself.

Though I doubt I'll patron the gay club-NOT GAY AM I (although there's nothing wrong with that), you did manage to slip that mention of that club in rather inconspicuously. Covering all possibilities I suppose. I wonder, do you work for the tourism bureau Cat123? If not, perhaps you should.

Happy St. Patrick's Day for any Irish out there. I'm sure Canada has its fair share just like the U.S.