Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions concerning the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria:

Jan 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

I am very prone to motion sickness. Is this a possibility on the ferry? Do some people get ill? (If so, I suppose I can count myself as a future member of this select club!) Should I plan on using medication?How much time is spent on the ferry? Thanks.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM

The trip is about an hour and a half.

It may happen but I don't recall seeing anyone get sick on that route and I've been on it too many times to count. If it is extremely windy the ferry won't run because they have trouble docking at Tsawwassen. If there is any roughness, it's likely to be in the open water portion, which is about half the trip.

Generally though, it's a smooth trip... although I'm speaking as one who doesn't suffer with motion sickness.
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, April. I would hate to use medication if it is not necessary, but if I read about even ONE person getting ill, I know that I will regret it if I don't use medication. And the wrist bands alone don't work for me, although I always use them along with the meds.Even with the meds, I end up keeping my head down, and closing my eyes.
Jan 20th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Sorry.
I watched my sister in law get sick on a windy day.
I could not believe how sensitive she was.
The trip is 90 minutes.
If you need gravol, then take it. The car deck is below the passenger deck, need I say more?
Jan 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM

What time of year was that, icithecat?
Jan 20th, 2008, 11:33 PM

April.
Ha. It was in May.
If a girl needs gravol, then let her take it.
I carry imodium in France. So be it.
Jan 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Icthecat. I plan to take the ferry in July. I guess, I will take the meds. Better to be sleepy than get sick which can last long after the ferry ride is over. Thank you, everybody.
Jan 21st, 2008, 09:54 AM

Hi again annetti

I keep recommending Bonine. The generic name is Meclazene and it doesn't make you sleepy. Take one in the morning whether you need it or not - don't wait to feel sick. I have sung the praises to everyone because it is so effective. As I have posted before on rough cruises I had to hand it out to fellow passengers who had the wrist bands and patches on and it worked for them all. (Yes, I am a Costco shopper so you get the giant economy size for just a few dollars!!!)
Jan 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Traveller69. I forgot about Bonine. I will try it again. I have a patch, but I have never tried it, unwilling to take a chance that it may not work, but I have used Bonine with success. I cannot remember if it made me sleepy or not, but dramamine definitely makes you tired. And you are right, the key is to take it before boarding the ship. I, always follow the recommendations on that point!! Thank you again.
Jan 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM

icithecat, they tell everyone that they must leave the car deck and go up to the passenger decks...how stringently this is enforced I do not know. It is undoubtedly safety-based.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

Hi,

I'm prone to motion sickness myself and have felt queasy on the Vancouver/Victoria ride in calm waters (yep, I'm very sensitive). I don't know if it makes a difference to you, but I find getting out on deck and fresh air is one of the best things for me. I generally spend most of my time outside on ferry rides.
Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:29 AM

Bobmrg,

According to polls, one of the most popular places for sex in BC (outside of the bedroom) is the car deck on the ferries. So, do be careful if you're down there.

Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sheila. Cool air definitely helps, but it is not enough. It can take the edge off, if it is a short ride, but with 1 and 1/2 hrs it will not be enough.

These posts have been helpful, because without this query,I would have depended on my friends who were telling me that no one had problems on the ferry. Obviously this is not the case. Now, I can be prepared.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM

Also beside medication eat something salty and keep your focus on the horizon to prevent motion sickness.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

annetti, you'll have to post here and tell us about your experience after you've been on the ferry, to give the perspective from somebody who suffers from motion sickness.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I will try to remember to post, but my ferry ride is not until July. I am also considering flying. For those who get motion sick, they can understand my reluctance to put myself though another bout. Thanks again.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM

Anetti - Be prepared but don't expect the worst. As someone who lives in Victoria and for a while I was communting to Vancouver I can count on one hand the number of times it has been a little bouncy. July should be just fine. There are times in the winter especially lately when there are high winds it isn't great but most of the time it is very very smooth. I asked my friends nephew who has been with BC Ferries for years how often they encountered people actually getting sick and there aren't that many. Think Positively!!!! Beautiful sunny warm day no breezes. You will love it.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

I agree with traveller69. This is one of the smoothest rides on the water you'll ever be on. The ferries are massive and for the most part, it's hard to tell that you're even moving. The ferry vibrates ever so often, but the movements are so subtle it's really not like your typical boat ride swishing around or going up and down.

I think statistically, regardless of where you are on the water, there's always going to be somebody, somewhere, who gets sick. But out of the hundreds of passengers that ride these ferries and the dozens of times I've been on them, I've never seen anybody get sick.

What I'm trying to say is that the ferry shouldn't be feared.

Also know that the waters are sheltered from the open ocaen - you don't get ocean swells like you do on the other side of Vancouver Island. And for most of the ride, you're travelling between very tiny channels between islands - this area isn't known for its waves at all.

The only white caps that occur happen on windy/stormy days, and on very windy days, they cancel the ferry all together.

Ferries that go from Victoria to Seattle travel in much more open waters... and it's often those ferries that you hear complaints about sea sickness. With the Victoria-Vancouver ferry route, it's really a non-issue.
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:44 AM

For those who don't experience motion sickness, you may not be aware that it isn't always choppy water that causes problems. I lived in Vancouver for a number of years and frequently took the ferry (either to Victoria or Nanaimo). I never experienced bad weather, high waves on any of my trips, but did experience motion sickness.

It varies with indivduals and for me the bigger the boat, the more queasy I am. It's not so much being bounced around but I can feel a slight up/down but not see it and that throws me off. That's one of the reasons I think being out on deck helps me. Most people won't even notice/feel what is throwing my balance off. I would never consider a cruise as a vacation because of this.

Now, that is not to say there is anything to be scared of or to avoid the ferry. It just means that if you are sensitive, be prepared.
Jan 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Good advice, ShelliDawn - thanks for writing that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO