Quebec City - the first leg of our "See Canada" quest

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quebec City - the first leg of our "See Canada" quest

Re-posting in the Quebec forum:

Hello Fodorites....

We are somewhat more accustomed to the Europe board and this is my first post here - we moved to Canada just over a year ago and like all good, un-initiated immigrants, landed straight into Toronto. Alas, vocational considerations must take precedence - but I jest, we quite like it here.

One of the many resolves around our move to Canada was that we must see and explore Canada. We have seen some of Ontario on long weekends (and of course, the obligatory week in Muskoka last summer), but now it's time to venture beyond the borders of this fair province.

I have a week off in the middle of May and was thinking of driving up to Quebec city with the tribe (which consists of a wife who knows everything and two iPod armed kids, 12 and 14).
So here are the questions:
1) Is this a good idea in the middle of May? I can deal with temperatures in their mid-teens (the various sites all recommend that one expect this, but their disclaimers of late snow etc. bother me somewhat), but I honestly do not wish to see snow anymore.
2) The “Olde Quebec” seems to be the destination of choice for lodging – are there any home/apartment rentals that are recommended as opposed to the charming hotels (such an adventure would be our normal choice in most European cities)? We quite like the idea of strolling down into the middle of things and picking up fresh produce, etc. in the mornings – not quite sure if this is true of Quebec city, as it would be in say Campo de' Fiori in Rome..
3) I don’t quite know how to put this one, as I do not mean to offend anyone – but is there any untoward behaviour commonly experienced by those of us who look a bit different (of the Russell Peters variety)?

I look forward to your ideas and suggestions in helping shape this trip. We do plan to stopover in Montreal overnight, on our way bit that is not the focus of this trip (unless some of you suggest otherwise). We generally like to go to one place at a time and explore it in an easy, un-rushed fashion.
Warm regards to anyone who has taken the trouble to read through….
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:07 PM

Hi Ahmed

1) Yes, middle of May is a good time of year to visit Quebec city; kind of pre-tourist season, weather should be pleasant and not unpleasantly hot. There shouldn't be any snow.
2) Yes, Vieux Quebec is good; you'll want to be close to there (Upper or Lower City). There's Moisan market on Saint-Jean which would be nice to pick up nice cheeses, meats, etc...
3) Although much less ethnically diverse than Toronto, you're not likely to experience anything negative as a visiting tourist. In my experience, the citizens of the Vieille Capitale are quite polite but reserved, and you're not likely to have much interaction than the usual restaurant and store greetings. Also, the city is a tourist center, don't forget, they're used to visitors from all over the world. (Very safe too; in 2007, I remember had a shocking number of homicides....ZERO....)

If you actually spoke Quebecois French (which I can't imagine why you would), you might run across someone in private conversation who might more openly share opinions about other cultures that might seem provincial to you. At the same time, I've met plenty of broad-minded Quebec City folk interested in other cultures/languages also.

Enjoy, Quebec is a great city... especially so for one who likes to explore in an unrushed fashion as yourself.

Daniel
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Daniel,

any suggestions on lodging?
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:26 PM

Sorry Ahmed, I haven't stayed at a hotel/B&B there in almost 15 years (I've stayed with friends in Quebec City in more recent years).

Just of note: the Canada forum does not move as quickly as the Europe or USA forum...so others make take awhile to respond about your lodging query.

Hope you have a great trip! Daniel
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM

Quebec City is a wonderful destination. My favorite restaurants were Aux Anciens Canadiens and a little creperie we found that I cannot remember the name of...There is excellent cuisine to be had, as in all major tourist cities.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Minnehappylis (I love that nick),

Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:03 AM

Have a look at the official tourism website www.bonjourquebec.com and you should find a number of apartment/studio rentals. Ideally you want one within the walls, but you may have more choice elsewhere downtown.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

I will be traveling to Quebec City in mid-July with my two children. We will be staying at this B & B: Maison Historique James Thompson. You might want to check it out too. I know the owners have children too.