Montreal and Quebec City

Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal and Quebec City

Going to Quebec City 2 days Montreal 4 days in July. Where to stay ? Where to eat ?
What is not to be missed.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM

Café du Clocher Penché in the Basse Ville (St. Roch area) of Quebec City. Excellent food.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 06:57 PM

Oh yes. We had a wonderful lunch there!
Old Apr 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Wow - this is a big question. Have you searched back on this forum - there are loads of tips out there.
Montreal 101 - There are 3 desirable areas to stay - the old city, the downtown & the plateau. The plateau is my choice due to lots of small cafes, byob restaurants, and funky shops. However any one of these areas is fine.
Quebec City - If at all possible stay within the old city walls, or very close by. There is an upper and lower portion, the upper is more scenic, the lower has more interesting shops and places to eat. Again, they are both great.
What I recommend is contacting the Province of Quebec tourist office (bounjourquebec.com) and request a free guidebook for each city. These are better than any book you can buy - chock full of maps, walking and biking routes, museums, neighborhoods, etc,etc.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM

If you search under Quebec in this forum you will see several recent threads with lots of good general information.

For better ideas on lodging and restaurants it would help if you gave an idea of the amount you want to pay and for restaurants the type of food(s) you are interested in.
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:10 AM

You would need to be a little bit more descriptive. How many people, what age?

If you are a group and staying for 4 days, you could rent an apartment. If you are alone it might not be worth it.

If I was traveling I would prefer to stay on the Plateau, gay village or St-Henri. But depends what you are looking for.

Go see my page here about what to do in Montreal.
www.montrealapartment.travel/whattodo.html
I would suggest the festivals, the Old port, the Mont-Royal tam-tams... drink a beer on a terrasse on Mont-Royal Street. Try the infamous Poutine at la Banquise. Are you into sports?
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:51 PM

Montreal: http://www.notabletravels.com/destin.../Montreal.html

Quebec City: http://www.notabletravels.com/destin...ec%20City.html
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Linda Fasteson,

In case no one else says it, I will. Your photo travelogues are a beauty, thoughtful and classily written and presented. I read and admired the photos for each of the places I've been (I'm funny... I tend to not like to see photos of places I haven't been yet... it's as if I don't want to spoil it when I do go, I want the visuals to be new... ) Victoria, Vancouver, Montreal, Quebec City, Kingston, Halifax, VIA Rail's the Canadian... and enjoyed each one (one of the best photosI've seen of Butchart's Gardens). Thanks for spending time putting these together for others to admire.

Best wishes,

Daniel
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We are seniors driving from Ohio our planned route is northeast Ohio,
Syracuse,NY,Quebec City and /or Montreal then drive to Bar Harbor,Me, Arcadia and then drive down the coast and ending up in Boston. We are thinking two to three weeks starting in the
middle of July. I promise to write a report. All suggestions are welcome ! Thanks again.
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks, Daniel. You made my day.

You might want to check out the stories on New Zealand, which we did using their train, ferry, and coach system:

Rotorua:
http://www.notabletravels.com/destin...a/Rotorua.html

http://www.notabletravels.com/destin...20Zealand.html

Also, did you see the story on the Inside Passage? Canada's ferry system is quite impressive and the scenery is spectacular. If you look carefully at the lower left of the photo, you may see the tail fin of one of the many whales in the area:
http://www.notabletravels.com/destin...20Ferries.html