Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Quebec City in November??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/quebec-city-in-november-87724/)

Ellen Sep 25th, 2000 05:28 PM

Quebec City in November???

I have booked a surprise trip for my husband to Quebec City the 1st week-end in November...but I've been surprised to discover that the Citadelle and Artillary Park are closed after Oct. Help!! Can't back out now..what will we do for 3 days? Hopefully it will still be worth it? Thanks for replys.

dougd Sep 26th, 2000 07:18 AM

Don't back out! Quebec city is perhaps the most beautiful city in North America. There are many great retaurants, cafes, and picturesque streets to walk down.The view from the prominade is unforgettable. My wife and I spent 3 days there this summer, and didn't even bother to go to the citadelle or artillary park. There is a great view of the city from one of it's few skyscrapers just outside the old city, look for it in the free guide books that are given out in most of the hotels. November will be quite chilly, but you'll have a great time!

Mode Oct 4th, 2000 12:01 PM

I agree with Doug; you will have a wonderful time. So much to see and explore. Upper and lower old QC, shops, architecture, history, St. Lawrence River, etc. It's one of the best examples of European atmospehere in a city in N.A. QC is one our most favorite cities in North America. Restaurants are very nice and an experience. One is right across the street from the large hotel Chateau Frontenac and it is one of the oldest buildings in QC; it has a red roof. They serve the old style Quebecios meal. I want to say the name of it St. Martiens but don't hold me to that.

Marylou Oct 12th, 2000 05:52 AM

Can someone tell me the most romantic place to stay in Quebec City and also can you get there by train from the U.S.?

charles Oct 12th, 2000 04:17 PM

The restaurant with the Red Roof that you are thinking of is Aux Anciens Canadiennes. Good, but not great. <BR> <BR>I would say the Chateau Frontenac would be the most romantic place to stay. <BR> <BR>And the weather will be really REALLY COLD! Unless you're from Minnesota

Christina Oct 13th, 2000 07:52 PM

You can get there from the US by train but it is a very long trip. I believe you have to take the train to Montreal and then a train from there to Quebec. On the east coast at least, there is a train running north up through Vermont that goes to Montreal. I went to Quebec in August and checked that out as I like trains and live in Washington DC which has good east coast train connections, but it was not worth it as that train takes a long time to go up there, all day, maybe even overnight, whereas you can fly there in a few hours. I think it's called the Montrealer and goes up from New York City. There is another route that goes through Chicago and to Toronto, probably you can then get a train from there. Check out routes and prices at www.amtrak.com. I was there three days and never went to the Citadel or that park either. I didn't find tons of stuff to do in Quebec, it's a fairly small city, but there are a couple museums worth seeing and it's pleasant to walk around. I remember seeing that restaurant with the red roof across from the chateau and it's not Aux Anciens Canadiens (which is up rue St Louis a few blocks from there, although it may have a red roof also).