Fresh Fruit from US

Search

Fresh Fruit from US

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh Fruit from US

Getting ready to go on a Boy Scout trip to Ontario Province from Minnesota. What is the current status on bringing fresh fruit like apples, oranges, pears and such across the border? Some sites say yes if declared and others list them as no. Also, how about fresh sweet corn? Husked or in the husk?

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 10:33 AM

It depends on the the fruit and where the fruit is from and which province you entering. Same for the corn. Regulations change depending on threats in specific items and from specific regions.

Exact details can be found by using the AIRS system:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/i.../1300127627409

Corn seems to be fine, but I think there are off and on restrictions on apples and oranges because of disease/insect threats.

Your best bet is to declare ALL fresh fruits and vegetables and to have proof of where the veggies are from.

If you can, buy your veggies & fruits in Ontario - the province has great farm country with excellent markets. You can get fresher stuff without the hassle of buying before you leave and dealing with any border restrictions.

"Fruits and vegetables: fresh

one bag up to 4 kilograms of US number 1 potatoes per person and the bag must be commercially packaged
15 packages or less up to 250 kilograms of fresh fruits and vegetables per person (excluding potatoes)
must be free from soil, pests, leaves, branches and/or plant debris
some restrictions on some fresh fruit and vegetables from California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington
in British Columbia (BC): restrictions on fresh apples, stone fruit and potatoes"

More info here: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inf.../1389648516990
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

We need enough to feed 30 people for a week. I used the AIRS system and found the apples and bananas to be approved. It says to have documentation from inspection. Where does that come from if I just go to a supermarket and buy fruit?

Buying fruit there is not an option as we are only going a few miles into Canada and the nearest small town is about a hour away. We're headed just to the north of the Boundary Waters.
Old Jul 25th, 2014, 02:14 PM

I suggest you contact border control at your intended point of entry. They're the experts.