Road Trip in Ontario/Quebec

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 08:52 AM
Parikh

Road Trip in Ontario/Quebec

I want to take a road trip during the summer of 1999 through Ontario and lower Quebec. I live in Chicago, and would like to visit a good combination of cities and rural attractions. I have made up my mind on visiting Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa. If anybody has any suggestions on what to to in those cities or anywhere else, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 09:49 AM
Maggi

We just returned from Quebec/Nova Scotia and my advice would be: avoid mid-July to August if at all possible. It was very crowded! Make sure you make your reservations well in advance and research the accomodations well (Canada has a star-rating system. Get 5 star if possible. We found many places to be too "rustic" for our taste.

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 04:50 PM
Mike

With respect, I have to disagree with some of the above comments- if you stay at 5 star hotels, it will be no different than staying at 5 star US hotels - i.e. increadibly expensive. Canadian and US hotels are effectively the same, so i wouldn't worry too much about quality. If your particularly concerned, any guidebook will help out.

As for iteneraries, it depends upon where in Ontario you'll be entering - if you can take the time to head up north and cross at Sault Ste. Marie, you'll get to experience Northern Ontario, which is extremely beautiful and rugged. The Trans Canada highway is quite scenic most of the way to Toronto, where is starts to get built up and urban.

Suggestions would be Manitoulin Island, Bruce Penninsula, Niagara on the Lake, Algonquin Park, and Kingston - to add to your list, and depending upon your route. When you say lower Quebec - do you mean south, near the Vermont border? If so, the Eastern Townships from Sutton to Sherbrook are quite nice.

Have a great trip!

Mike

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 09:01 AM
D

A

Old Oct 24th, 1998, 10:16 PM
Donna

I would also disagree with the advice to stay in five star accomodations. There are many, many charming and moderately priced places to stay. I would second the recommendation for Niagara-on-the-Lake, and would also recommend a visit to Quebec City. However, you really should pick up a good tour guide for Eastern Canada and see what most appeals to you.

Old Dec 27th, 1998, 06:45 PM
d

d

Old Dec 27th, 1998, 06:46 PM
d

d

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 05:22 AM
Emma

I live in Toronto and have been to all the places mentioned several times. I would definitely consider adding Quebec City to your itinerary. It's only a couple of hours beyond Montreal and one of our favourite places to visit. That above comment about the star system being different in Canada and the US is a bit odd. In all our years of travelling, we have never noticed a difference between Canada and the US. Europe? Yes. Caribbean? Yes. But the US? No way!
PS: How much time do you have for the trip?

Old Dec 29th, 1998, 08:51 PM
Brian Kilgore

Organize your trip in a bit of a circle. Chicago to Detroit to Windsor to Pelee Provincial Park to Niagara Falls to Niagara on teh lake to Toronto to Be lleville, south topPrince Edward County, ferry at Glenora, toKingston (see Fort Henry to Gananoque (take boat tour of Thousand Islands) back to highway 401 to Montreal. South east from Montreal through area called Eastern Townships and then up to Quebec City. REtun from Quebec City on north side of St. Lawrence River, and head north from Monteal to Laurentian Mountains and Mont Tremblent. Angle south-west to Montebello and along north side of Ottawa River to Ottawa. From Ottawa head slightly north-west to catch edge of Algonquin Park, to Huntsville. South, catching Bracebridge and Grevenhurst, taking Sequin boat trip from Gravenhurst. Back at Gravenhurst head south on highway 11 to Toronto.

If you;'ve had enough of Canda by now, head towards Buffalo and home along the south shore of Lake Erie. Or just head west on highway 401 to Windsor, Detroit, etc.

BAK

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Lane

Good idea, but make sure you make reservations ahead of time to avoid any problems

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Daniel Lee

Dear Parikh:

I would definitely check out the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. It was very big and well done. Also, there are many ethnic neighborhoods in that city (such as Portuguese, Chinese, Italian, etc.)--very cosmopolitan and I loved it. Also check out a good band at the El Mocambo (a small venue where a lot of famous people like Stevie Ray Vaughan played).
Montreal was also great, and speaking French is a blast! My favorite area was down by the old harborfront, where you can have lunch, see street performers, and whatever. Plus there are a lot of walking areas in Montreal that are very cool!
You know, Quebec City isn't terribly far from Montreal, and you will definitely feel like you are in France once you get this deep into Quebec! Je pense que vous avez besoin de pratiquer votre Francais!

Daniel Lee

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 08:24 PM
wst

all

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 04:07 PM
Domenic

Definitely go to Quebec City. It's about 2-to-3 hours north of Montreal.

FYI - Montreal's Jazz Festival runs from July 1-13. The Just For Laughs Comedy Fest runs from mid-July till the end of the month. Montreal Expos play all season long at Olympic Stadium, Formula One Racing Event (Canadian Grand Prix) is June 15, and the Canadian Open Tennis Tourney is during the first week of August.

Voila.

Old May 7th, 1999, 02:07 PM
C. Hazen

If you haven't done all your planning yet, try and include Stratford, Ontario. Many visitors from Chicago enjoy the world class theatre. Just a quick plug for my mother-inlaw. She runs a wonderful bed and breakfast in a quaint little town 15 minutes west of Stratford - Mitchell. Her property is called At High Hill, full of beautfiful antiques and she serves breakfast in her formal dining room. Her number is 519 348 8605. You won't be disappointed.

Old May 10th, 1999, 07:30 PM
richard grondin

if you get the chance drive up to northenr ontario and drive on th ehighway stretch from Nipigon to SSM...you won't regret it because its a breathtaking route with a beautiful view of Lake Superior. As for Toronto it is failry blah and boring but Montreal is different and interesting..especially Quebec City

Old May 29th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Leo

STAY AWAY FROM QUEBEC UNLESS YOU SPEAK FRENCH!!!!

Old Jun 6th, 1999, 08:40 PM
stephanie

Leo, please elaborate. Have you been there and felt out of place/not treated well because you don't speak French. Or are you a French speaking Quebec resident who doesn't want the non-French speakers there?

I have a Canadian friend (not French speaking) who says it's not a problem (unless you are a non-Fr. speaking Canadian visiting there), not to worry about going there without speaking fluent French. Please tell more, thanks!

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 11:57 AM
Leo

Hello Stephany, no i am not an English speaking Canadian. I am from the Netherlands and we visited Quebec(Montreal) last summer. We met (some) people who refused to speak English to us and kept on talking French. They could hear by our English that we were Europeans, but he told me (in English) that we are in French Canada now and we have to adapt. That were his only words in English, for the rest he kept on speaking French( he sold slices of pizza).
When you wanna go f.i. to the IMAX-theater in old-Montreal you have to understand French because the have only 1 or 2 English version films a day.
Same thing happened to us at the airport when we tried to take a cab. The first driver only spoke French(or he was just stupid), the second was a very polight man from India who understood perfectly what we were saying.
Don't get me wrong, i like the Canadian people a lot. We are looking forward to our next holiday in Canada, but i'me sure we are not going back to Quebec.
We've been to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton and we had the times of our life there!!!!!
What a disappointment were (some) Quebecers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 08:21 PM
stephanie

Leo, thanks for elaborating. Sorry your experience was not the best. You've given some good food for thought in considering whether or not to go there. My spanish is pretty good, would that help? Just kidding!

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 09:37 AM
Leo

I know some Spanish to, Stephanie: Hasta la vista, Quebec...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -