Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Proposed trip - need feedback urgently! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/proposed-trip-need-feedback-urgently-282834/)

Jo Dec 30th, 2002 04:45 AM

Proposed trip - need feedback urgently!

My finance and I are thinking about doing the following next October and would appreciate feedback. Urgency is required as if I book the trip before the close of business tomorrow we get a number of discounts!.<BR>Fly Manchester (UK) to Calgary<BR>Calgary to Lake Louise staying in the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise for 5 nights.<BR>Lake Louise to Banff staying in the Banff Springs Hotel for 4 nights.<BR>Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver<BR>Vancouver for seven nights (with a side trip to Victoria for a couple of nights in these seven)<BR>Fly Vancouver to UK.<BR><BR>We came to Vancouver last year and loved it but didn't do half the things we wanted. We both like walking and plan to do a lot of that in Banff/Lake Louise in addition to some excursions to the Icefields etc. We don't normally go as upmarket as Fairmont hotels but I've always wanted to stay in those at Banff and Lake Louise.<BR><BR>What do you think?<BR>

JMM Dec 30th, 2002 07:45 AM

One comment:<BR>Instead of splitting your time in Alberta between Banff and Lake Louise, I would suggest the following: While in Alberta, rent a car.<BR>Stay in Lake Louise for 5 nights.<BR>Then drive the Glacier Parkway to Jasper - believe me - this drive is spectacular (glaciers,mountain views,wildlife) - with stops for pictures etc - it will take a whole day.<BR>Spend 2 nights in Jasper. <BR>Drive back along the parkway but go to Banff instead of Lake Louise for your last 2 nights before the train trip.

al Dec 30th, 2002 07:56 AM

That is an awesome trip - location, hotels and train trip - all top notch. I agree with the previous poster that you need to do the Icefields Parkway drive to Jasper, minimum one day. Therefore, you could do it with your itenary or the one suggested. Fairmont has Jasper Park Lodge (I think thats the name) in Jasper.<BR><BR>If you haven't already done so, check the weather and variability for October, so you know what to expect. I don't know what the weather is that time of the year but it is obviously cooler than in the summer and I suspect that it even snows the odd day in late October. I am not trying to dissuade you, just know what to expect. The advantages will be minimal crowds, clear and crisp weather/skies, etc.

Brian Kilgore Dec 30th, 2002 08:16 AM

I'd do as recommended, except perhaps reduce the lake Louise stay to 3 nights, allow one day to drive to Jasper, one night in Jasper, one day to drive back to Banff, and 5 nights in Banff.<BR><BR>On one of the days you are in Banff, take a circle drive from Banff east, up north a bit through the foothills, over to Cochrane and into Calgary, and then back to Banff that night. Seeing the cowboy country is a treat, and Calgary is worth a visit, even if only for part of a day. it's a short enough drive back to Banff that you can have dinner in Calgary in the early evening and still get back to Banff comfortably.<BR><BR>Don't worry about driving uip to Jasper and down on the same highway, repeating the scenery. It looks much different coming and going, and is beautiful both ways.<BR><BR>Off topic, but still tourism: big picture in the Canadian papers today of the broken pier at Brighton.<BR>BAK

April Dec 30th, 2002 10:03 AM

What a fabulous trip. The only thing I can think of to add is to take the float plane (if you have any money left!) to Victoria one way and the ferry the other. <BR><BR>If you haven't been, a side trip to the The Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta and the hoodoos would be interesting too.

Jo Dec 31st, 2002 04:02 AM

Thanks for the advice - we have altered our plans accordingly to take in Jasper.<BR>Just got to book it in the next 3 hours before the company shuts for the New Year.<BR>