Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Post-proposal champagne and dessert in Vancouver

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to propose in Vancouver in August and looking for the best restaurant for some post-proposal celebratory champagne and dessert. We're staying at the Pacific Palisades Hotel on Robson and I'd prefer a place within a few blocks so that I don't have to drive back after imbibing in the bubbly. Since it's just dessert and champagne, the regular food doesn't have to be excellent, and atmosphere is more important. Ideally, it's be a very romantic atmosphere/view, etc but with great desserts and decently prices champagne. Any suggestions?? I've looked into Cin Cin, Cloud 9, and Zin. Parkside may be a bit too far.
Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:13 PM

I haven't been there for years but maybe someone on the board has and that is the Sylvia Hotel. It has a lovely view at least looking back at Jericho anyway. They have a website but I don't know how the food etc is. Hopefully somebody will read this who has been there recently. It used to be such a lovely spot.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Staying on Robson Street means you won't need to drive at all.
You can easily walk to/from anywhere downtown in 20 minutes or less.

http://www.parksiderestaurant.ca/

The Sylvia as mentioned has seen better days and it definitely not recommended.Ditto Cloud 9-an over priced tourist trap with a poor reputation.
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 05:01 PM

See my response on your other thread. I still think Parkside would be great if you can get the private table. I don't think that Cin Cin is romantic enough - it is more of a larger and more open mediterranean type restaurant.

One other idea would be Le Gavroche - has a terrace and is very romantic in an old world traditional style. They have lots of champagne and also do classic french desserts like crepes suzette prepared tableside. It would be an easy walk from your hotel.

www.legavroche.com
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Cardero's would be nice too. It's right on the water, almost next to the Westin Bayshore and close to the float planes.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas. I contacted a bunch of places and I received responses from Le Crocodile, Le Gavroche, Il Giardino, Cin Cin, and Diva at the Met all saying that they could set up the champagne and dessert.

I'd like to stay close by to the hotel so that we can walk to and from and not have to drive or walk too far. Le Crocodile, Le Gavroche, and Cin Cin are all within 1/2 mile and the other two are closer to a mile. I've checked out the websites, dessert and champagne menus, and reviews of these places and I am leaning towards Le Gavroche.

If anyone can help me decide which place of these 5 would be the best and most romantic for this event, I'd really appreciate it.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM

bennyboy - we have all put our two cents worth in on your posts so we feel as if we have an interest in this proposal. I do hope you are going to post a report on what the answer was!!! I am guessing you know already. Who wouldn't want to marry someone who goes to such trouble to make the event so perfect. Good Luck and much happiness.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Le Crocodile is one of my favourite restaurants in Vancouver but I don't think that it is very romantic. It is a french bistro setting but the whole place is quite open and you won't have much privacy.

Il Giardino would have the right atmosphere but it is the farthest from your hotel.

Cin Cin is right in the middle of the Robson Street bustle. It is more of a happening place (a be-seen type place). It is also one of my favorite places but again, not really romantic.

Diva is a hotel dining room which has fabulous desserts. Much more modern decor. They might have a quiet table but I'm not sure.

I think Le Gavroche is probably the best place. It has a nice old world romantic/intimate feeling and good service and food. I think it comes down to whether you want old-world french (le gavroche) or italian (il giardino)as a backdrop.

Just my 2c - I'm sure that anything you pick will be excellent and that the 2 of you could probably be quite happy even at a McDonalds since you'll be more focussed on each other than anything else.