Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Poss's Rockies trip: back down the Icefields Parkway

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As we'd felt everywhere else, we left Jasper realizing that there were a number of other things we wished we'd had a chance to do. Even one more day, I think, would have felt more satisfying, but we also knew, of course, that we'd been lucky to have the time we did (and have such good weather).
Similarly, there were half a dozen things I wish we could have done on the way back down the Prkway, but since it was our last day but one, and since we knew we had only one night at Emerald Lake (the only place we stayed just one night), we knew we couldn't dawdle all day on the Prkway (we don't like arriving places late).
We stopped first at Horseshoe Lake, not far south of Jasper because already we were itching to get out of the car and do at least a little bit of walking. Horseshoe Lake was one of the sweet surprises of the trip. I.e. there were lots of other places that get talked about, and that I knew we'd love, but I didn't remember hearing much if anything abt Horseshoe. It was gorgeous! We didn't have time to hike around it, but we took the little trail down to the end of the horseshoe and the view across the lake was as lovely as could be. Hard to leave (abt the nth time we'd felt that way).
There was no way we weren't going to stop and say hello again to Athabasca Falls-- just a quick in and out, we said. We managed our re-visit in under an hour, so I guess that's good for us. Powerful place.
Much as we had liked Sunwapta Falls, we skipped it this time, and went on to do the Beauty Creek/Stanley Falls hike. One of our absolute favorites! Another hike that hadn't been mentioned much on these boards, tho one poster had raved about it, and I'd copied her/his careful instructions (sorry I can't remember who mentioned it-- if you're still monitoring-- thank you!!). No trouble to find at all: it's on the east side, south of Sunwapta Falls, north of Columbia Icefield. Just a little paved parking lot (empty both times), with a small hiking sign.
I'll continue the post later-- have to attend to dinner.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the information about Horseshoe Lake, I'll have to check that one out. Where did you hear about it, is it in "the" hiking book? I also have the review of the Beauty Creek hike in my notes, and was planning to go there. Glad to hear someone else thought it was a great stop!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Horseshoe wasn't even in the "main" part of the Graeme Pole book. It was at the end of the Jasper section, in "other walks..." It got more play in the Canadian Rockies Access Guide, a book we liked at least as much as the other.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Thank you for your ongoing reports, poss. I have not been to Horseshoe Lake or to Beauty Creek / Stanley Falls, so have added them to my wish list for future reference.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

What a kick! I've actually managed to "teach" Judy something new. Makes this old teacher feel very proud.