Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island - Frances Barkley or Uchuck III?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Active, early 60s couple wanting to see as much of the spectacular west coast during our ten-day, late September vacation to Vancouver Island. We are considering the Bamfield and Waypoints day tour on the MV Frances Barkley, and the Nootka Sound Day Trip on Uchuck III. Both are full day trips, so we may have to choose between them to fit in everything else we want to do and see.

Opinions on which one is better? Is it worth doing them both? Thanks.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:04 PM

Where else will you be going on this trip? which may help to narrow this down. They are both awesome. I just came back from the broken islands, which is where the Frances Barclay goes through, and it is amazing.

If you give your itinerary and how many days here then I can give you some ideas.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Ten days total, starting with a full day on Salt Spring Island, then three days at Tofino/Ucluelet (two if we take the Frances Barkley, so we will have an opportunity to see Broken Islands if we do not take the Frances Barkley).

We drive to Gold River on day five, Uchuck III on day six, Campbell River that night. Down to Victoria for last three nights with a day trip to Sooke and Port Renfrew during that time.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM

you will be busy. If you take the Frances Barclay to Ucluelet you will not have a car, so what are your plans with that regard? Or would you do a day trip from Port Alberni? I would not suggest that given your itinerary. Too much.

Instead of the Frances Barclay, which is a great day trip to either Bamfield or Ucluelet from Port Alberni, if you are going to be in Ucluelet/Tofino anyhow then I would suggest instead that you take a day trip on the Archipelago out of Ucluelet.
http://www.archipelagocruises.com

This will take you out to see some of the broken group, but the trip itself is just wonderful and I am sure you will love it.
That way you can also do the Uchuck if you have the time when you are at Gold River area.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We decided not to do the Frances Barkley and instead do one of the day trips from Ucluelet to see the broken group. The archipelago cruise appears to be the nicest but most expensive option for this, setting us back over C$300 with lunch. We don't need the luxury nor the lunch and hope to find a less expensive option to see the islands. Thanks again.
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 12:34 PM

If you go to Ucluelet late September, ask any of the locals if the bears are at the fish hatchery yet. It is usually in October but could be late Sept too. It is amazing. It is about a 7 minute drive over to Port Albion, (not Port Alberni) and the Thornton Fish hatchery is there. When we were there last year there were four huge bears fishing in the river. You are a mere 10 feet away and able to watch them in thier natural habitat. I see bears all the time, they are in my back yard, but this was spectacular. It depends on the salmon run timing.