Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Please help planning a road trip to Quebec province.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 10 or 11 day road trip starting from Hartford, CT. So far I am trying to decide between three options:

1. CT > Montreal > Quebec City > around Gaspe peninsula > home

2. CT > Montreal > Quebec City >Taddoussac > ferry > drive along St Lawrence R. South bank > home

3. CT > Niagra Falls > Toronto > Ottawa >Montreal > Quebec City > home

We definitely want to include Montreal and QC. We enjoy quiet get-aways, visiting different cultures, music, dance, out of the ordinary scenery and wild life. and ESPECIALLY good food. Right now we are leaning towards the Gaspe intinerary. Neither of us speak any French. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

JWitt
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Trying to do this vacation on the cheap. Hopefully under $12,000 total but could go up to $15,000.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry, but one more question: How important are reservations in these areas, especially the Gaspe peninsula, during the first two weeks of June? We would like to keep our options open in case we decide to stay anywhere an extra day or two, but we don't want to end up sleeping in our car. Thanks.

(We is my girlfriend and I)
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:55 PM

My first thought was, wow, $12,000 U.S., you can hire me as your personal guide!

Itinerary #1 is a long drive but...stop in Metis-sur-Mer for the beautiful gardens; Bic for the park and dinner at Auberge du Mange Grenouille; Mont Albert for the scenery and the wonderful Gite Mont Albert (food); Mont St-Pierre for hang-gliding.

Itinerary #2 is full of potential. Research the Charlevoix region. There are numerous auberges with fine dining. This is a beautiful part of Quebec. I have stayed and/or eaten at the following: Maison Otis (Baie St-Paul), Auberge des Peupliers and La Pinsonniere (Cap à l`Aigle), Auberge des 3 Canards (small room), Auberge des Falaises (if you book here I can tell you what to ask for), Auberge les Sources, Auberge sur la Cote, Le Manoir Richelieu (all Pointe-au-Pic - lovely area), and Auberge des Sablons (Saint-Irénée). The Haute Gorges de la Malbaie has the highest cliffs in eastern Canada, and there is hiking to be done in Parc des Grands Jardins.

Itinerary #3, I would search this site for opinions. There is lots of info available on the major cities. As well, if you have not done so, visit www.bonjourquebec.com or call them at 1-877-266-5687 for brochures on the Gaspe and the Charlevoix. For parks visit www.parkscanada.ca or www.parcsquebec.com.

As for reservations, I am famous for winging it, but it depends on your comfort level. I do not think you will have difficulty finding hotels. I would reserve at any place you are set on going to (and the Gite Mont Albert). Make and bring a list. If you find yourself in a certain area you can call the day before. Good luck!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Lol, make that $1,200 US. Whoops! Thanks for the suggestions.

I went to AAA today. The woman helped a little and gave me some good maps. I think we are going to go with the Gaspe option. We can take a long weekend trip for Niagra Falls in the fall and Gaspe seems more off the beaten path to me. I have read quotes of anywhere between 4 and 7 days to drive around the peninsula. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks again.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:42 PM

If I were you, considering where you are leaving from, I would do Niagara and Toronto on a separate trip (there is quite a bit to see in that area itself).

The 2 first options will take you to excellent areas for the quiet getaways you are looking for. You might want to book ahead if you go to the Mange-Grenouille inn or to Mont Albert, or something else unique but generally the beginning of June is not busy.

The Gaspe' itinerary will take you to more maritime sceneries, if that's what you prefer. If you take option 2, don't miss the lovely ile aux Coudres and the Hautes-Gorges de la rivière Malbaie. Tadoussac is also famous for the whale-watching expeditions.

Interesting that you mention dance, there is a dance festival in Trois-Rivière (between Montreal and Quebec) from June 4 to June 13. You can check on the Quebec tourism site for more details.

Good luck in your difficult decision (hard to choose between Charlevoix and Gaspésie!) You won't regret it either way.
Old May 5th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I'm sure you're going to love your trip! We may cross paths. My husband and I are taking an eastern Canada 22 cities in 50 days tour.

We booked our entire trip becuase we were looking for better deals on lodging and need to take a laptop so we have to have internet connection at each location.

I found great deals in the larger cities like Montreal, Quebec City and Toronto by going to priceline.com and hotwire.com We're staying in VERY nice places for about 50 bucks a night. Check those out.

We're going from Virginia to PA, Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Calabogie, Montreal, Quebec, Tadoussac, Grand falls, NB, Saint John, Shediac, Nova Scotia, PEI, Cape Breton, Yarmouth, Rockport, ME then back down the New England coast to Virginia.

Whew... long one! We'll be in a new silver Toyota Prius with Virginia tags SMRTCR! Keep your eyes out..and honk if you pass.

Enjoy your journey!!
Colleen
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

We have decided on the Gaspé peninsula itinerary. We will take a shorter 3-4 day trip to Niagra Falls/Toronto in the Fall. I am beginning a new post with more specific questions about the Gaspé peninsula.

Ventdest - Do you have any more info on that dance festival in Troi-Riviére? All that I could find was a very simple explanation. The festival might be of interest to us since my girlfriend is a professional dancer.

Colleen - We will be looking out for you! Have a great trip. We will check out Priceline.

Thanks for the responses.
Old May 6th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Hi! Re: the International Dance Festival: More information will be available in the future on http://www.festival-encore.com/ (you will find an email address there where you can write if you want to get more info before the site is up). The newspaper reviews from last year's edition were very positive.
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ventdest.