Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

PLEASE don't let me make same mistake twice in Montreal!!!

Nov 13th, 2002, 07:43 AM
visited

You may recall I posted a few weeks ago saying I was in Montreal staying at the Sheraton and only got to see St. Catherine St. - I was so disappointed. Well, I have another chance-I'm going back to Montreal in 4 weeks and staying this time in Old Montreal. I'll be on my own so want to spend time just walking around, seeing sights and getting to know the area. I'll be staying in Old Montreal. Please help me plan a solid 3 day trip. Like shopping, markets, boutiques, wandering. Thanks.

Nov 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Louis

Spend one day exploring Old Montreal:
- Notre-Dame Basilica
- See Place Jacques-Cartier & City Hall at night.
- Shops on St-Paul. New Java U coffee shop corner St-François-Xavier.
- Craft shops inside Marché Bonsecours and L'empreinte store (St-Paul, one block east of Place Jacques-Cartier).

Don't miss shopping on the Plateau:
Take the metro to Sherbrooke station. (3 stops from Champs de Mars).
From Sherbrooke St., walk up rue St-Denis all the way to rue Laurier. (about 2 miles). Explore the side streets such as Prince-Arthur, Duluth and Mont-Royal. Go left on Laurier and come back down via boulevard St-Laurent. (This should take you 4-6 hours, depending on your shopping, and amount of café latté time-outs).

Go to Atwater Market on a Saturday morning (metro Lionel-Groulx). Check-out "Les Douceurs du marché" and "Première Moisson". Jean-Talon Market is also good (metro de Castelneau).

Go to Mont-Royal Belvedere (esplanade in front of the main chalet). To get there, best is to take a cab from metro Mont-Royal. Especially nice at night.

See the Xmas illuminations on McGill College Avenue and check out the new "Les Ailes de la Mode" Complex. (Ste-Catherine & University). Check out SAQ Signature store there. Average price of a bottle of wine: $500.(!)

If you like art, check out the outstanding collection of Canadian paintings at the Museum of Fine Arts. In the old pavillion. Free admission. Check out the Museum Gift Shop.

I'm sure others will suggest more things to do and see...

Nov 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM
visited

Thank you Louis!! I'm used to Toronto subways-will I have any problem with Montreal metro? I heard there is a 3 day pass for metro - is it worth getting or just pay as I go? Love markets - which of your suggestions would be best? easiest to get to? I'm staying at the Intercontinental Hotel. Really appreciate your suggestions.

Nov 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Louis

Montreal Metro is very easy. Similar to Paris. Only one line per tunnel. Direction is given by last station in that direction.
3-day pass is a good deal if you make more than 3 one-way trips per day. Also good on buses.
Personally, I like Atwater Market better. Easiest to get to and closest to downtown.

Nov 13th, 2002, 05:36 PM
xxx

Montreal's Metro is much smaller than that of Toronto. Anyway, I would suggest spending much time in Old Montreal/Old Port. Don't neglect downtown, but don't restrict it to Ste Catherine street either. I would recommend Sherbrooke street as well, the Eaton Center and then you can head east. Also, Crescent street is a lot of fun with great bars, restaurants and clubs. Spend at least half a day walking in the "east end" around St. Denis street and St-Laurent street. Make sure you stop by at Schwartz's (Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen) for smoked meat (pastrami). Enjoy!

Nov 13th, 2002, 05:52 PM
kodi

Glad to hear you are going back to MOntreal.
I mentioned on your other post about the great walking tour we took. It lasted about 3 hours or so, and really gave us a great introduction. It covers different areas of the city, and so included a days pass on the metro (because we had to use the metro for various locations on the tour). It did go to Old MOntreal as well.
HOpe you have a good time.

Nov 14th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Louis

Visited Montreal:
Here's a map of the metro system. It's not much smaller than Toronto's (It has 65 stations vs 68 for Toronto):

(copy and paste):

http://www.stm.info/metro/mapmetro.htm