plan so far: Montreal and Quebec City

Feb 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

plan so far: Montreal and Quebec City

I am really looking forward to my trip to Quebec City and Montreal, April 24 through May 2nd. Traveling with my husband to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

I used FF points for business class tix from atl to Quebec City (via Detroit--not business class for 2nd hop) and return from Montreal to ATL.

Based on comments here and on Trip Advisor, I booked the first three nights in Quebec City at L' Hotel Dominion 1912. It was the coffee service in the afternoon that appealed to me. What a nice amenity.

We plan to take VIA Rail intercity on Friday the 27th and I am wondering how far in advance I need to make a reservation. Looks like there is a midday train and an evening train.

Do I want to leave Quebec City early, have lunch on the train and view the scenery? Or do I want another day in Quebec City, have dinner on the train, but no scenery?

Whichever, I'll spend the next five nights at the Omni in Montreal--I learned that in their Select Guest program they provide coffee service to your room each morning. I really like that idea. Plus, with my American Express points, I am getting two of the five nights free! Woo-hoo!

Now that the flights and the hotels are booked I can begin to plan the fun part of the trip: sightseeing!

I'd be very happy to read and comments about the plan so far, and any suggestions for sightseeing. I'm using the DK Eyewitness Guide for basic information.

Without a car of my own, is there any way I can get out to see the Ice Hotel?

What are these Sugar Shacks I have read about? An interesting cultural experience? Or not?

Thank you for reading and for any comments or referrals you have to offer.

Feb 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM

For Via Rail, the longer in advance that you book, the better the fare. At this time, you should be able to get the Supersaver fare in economy (Comfort class), and a discounted VIA 1 rate. I wouldn't make my decision on which train to take based on scenery, as it's not terribly interesting between Québec and Montréal. The key thing would be whether you want a few extra hours in Québec or you want to get to Montréal in time to dine out. If you take the late train and want to dine, you should chose VIA 1, as only snacks are served in Comfort Class.

As for the Ice Hotel, forget it for this year. By the end of April it will be long closed, and perhaps just a puddle.

The Sugar Shacks or as they are called, "cabanes à sucre" are indeed an interesting cultural experience. Late April might be a bit late, but perhaps not. Their normal time of operation is during sugaring off in late March and early April. You can expect a very hearty meal, maple syrup on everything, and music and dancing. You might be able to book a tour from Québec City to one of the nearby establishments. Here's some more information:

http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/erablieres0.html
Feb 5th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Ok!
Thanks, laverendrye, that's a lot of good information. I've decided to take the evening train, VIA 1, which has dinner service on the train. Sounds very civilized. And I got a good discount, I presume it was for the early booking.

I will enjoy the few extra hours in Quebec.

Too bad about the ice hotel, it sounded fascinating.

Thanks for the reference about the cabanes a sucre. We don't plan to have a car so I'll have to look into tours that include bringing us out there and back. It looks fun.

OO

Search this Thread