Places to Stay in both St. John's and Gros Morne & Other questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning to fly to Newfoundland in July. From Toronto fly to Deer Lake, fly to St. Johns and home.

1) Do we need a car in St. Johns or can we take day trips (not hiking or fishing - we are in our 60's)
2) Has anyone stayed in Gros Morne National Park and where
3) Where to stay in St. John's overlooking the harbour (that is really nice and not too expensive and I'm not keen on B&B's)
4) Is Canjet a reliable air service because they seem to be the most reasonable and
5) Which is more reliable Provincial Airways or Air Labrador (they seem to be the same exhorbitant price from Deer Lake to St. John's)

I have looked on this site but need more specific answers. Thanks so much.

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:12 PM

1) There are many things that one can do in St. John's without a car but a car is handy for some things.

2) We stayed in a cabin in Deer Lake when we visited Gros Morne.

3) "Really nice" and "not too expensive" need to be better defined for any sensible answers to be given. We once stayed at the Quality and found it to be acceptable. There are more upscale places.

4) I have only flown Canjet on one return flight and found the seats to be very close together and personally would never fly them on anything but a very short flight. Any airline can have bad days and I don't know of any on-time stats for Canadian airlines. It is a bit early to be booking for summer. Air Canada often lowers it's fares.

5) I can't help with your question. Have you considered a one way car rental? There may be package deals available.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM

My wife and I, both in our mid-60's, will be making our sixth trip to Newfoundland & Labrador in July. Perhaps I can help with some of your questions:
1) A car would not be necessary in downtown St. John's, but would be needed for essential sightseeing. It's possible to walk to Signal Hill and the Geo Centre but it's a long, steep climb. With a car you could visit Cape Spear, Middle Cove and scenic outports.
As mentioned in a previous post, perhaps a one-way car rental at Deer Lake would be a possible option.
2) We have stayed at the "Oceanview Motel" in Rocky Harbour. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished. They have a restaurant but we prefer "Fisherman's Landing" across the street.
3) I would heartily recommend "Murray Premises Hotel" in downtown St. John's. They have rooms overlooking the harbor. The rooms are large and beautifully appointed with electric fireplaces, jacuzzi tubs, and refrigerators. They provide free parking and a delicious complimentary continental breakfast with a wide variety of breakfast items. The staff goes out of their way to be welcoming and helpful. Their rates start at $139 per night.
I can't help with the other two questions as we have always driven from Pennsylvania.
Hopes this helps. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Canjet is an 'economy' carrier but they are reliable. We flew Toronto / St. John's last summer no problem.

A friend flies St.

The Murray Premises is well located, but more 'on' the harbour than 'overlooking' the harbour. It is well located to visit the downtown area, shops and restaurants.

We enjoy the Battery Hotel which overlooks St. John's from Signal Hill Road. The harbourview rooms have a great view of the city. Rooms there should be in the $120 -$130 Canadian range. You really do need a car if staying at the Battery.

I suggest a car for touring the St. John's area. There are several scenic and interesting places within an hour or 90 minute drive of St. John's.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:48 AM

OOPS! Accidently posted.... A friend of mine uses Provincial from Deer Lake to St. John's with no major complaints.

cheers

Jerry