Places to eat in Montreal & Quebec

Jun 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Places to eat in Montreal & Quebec

I'm looking for suggestions for the best food (breakfast, lunch or dinner) in these cities. I don't need the fanciest place, I want the best food they have to offer.
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:11 PM

Montreal: The list is endless! It really depends on what kind of food you like. I loved TOQUE (expensive, but I thought it was worth it -- Canadian/French cuisine). Locals also recommended to me L'EXPRESS (French bistro --but permits smoking; reasonable prices). I also enjoyed a Canadian/French BYOB bistro LES INFIDELES (another place where many locals go). LE JARDIN DE PANOS was recommended by some other Fodorites. They serve Greek/seafood. BORIS BISTRO, CUBE and LES CAPRICES DE NICHOLAS (pricier like Toque) were also recommended. That should keep you busy for now...
Jun 15th, 2004, 05:52 PM

We just return from our trip to Quebec city and Montreal -- we never had a bad meal (including the Montreal airport!) The food is simply outstanding -- even the fruit markets (Atwater market in Montreal). Maybe you want to plan a few special meals but I wouldn't worry about -- the French Canadiens really know how to cook.
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:19 PM

THe food in Montreal and Quebec is wonderful-no matter what price range. The locals do not tolerate bad food or bad service and restaurants that serve the former quickly go out of business. Does not matter if it is a steamed hot dog, a smoked meat sandwich, or fine french cuisine.
Jun 16th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. I'm looking for a great French bistro. I plan to eat at Toque as well.
Jun 16th, 2004, 06:30 AM

If you want a 'real' Parisian type bistro with sidewalk tables, try Cafe Cherrier, on Cherrier at the Sherbrooke Metro stop. In fact that neighborhood has lots of nice, inexpensive places to eat - on rue St. Denis, rue Duluth, etc.
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:36 AM

If you like fondue, my favorite place for that is Fonduementale, on St. Denis street; an old house converted to a restaurant. Reserve ahead of time.