Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Parking Suggestions for Montreal (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/parking-suggestions-for-montreal-229872/)

klam Jun 10th, 2002 01:51 PM

Parking Suggestions for Montreal

We'll be coming to fabulous Montreal during the Jazz Fest, staying at Sheraton Le Centre (on Rene Levesque @ Drummond). <BR><BR>Hotel parking is $17/day...can anyone suggest somewhere else that is cheaper? We don't mind having to Metro back to the hotel as we will likely just park the car and use public transit during our 6 day visit. <BR><BR>Any suggestions would be appreciated!

JD Jun 10th, 2002 02:24 PM

Would love to know this too!<BR><BR>Every hotel I've stayed in Montreal<BR>(generally 4 star hotels) has charged between $15-20 per day for parking, including in and out privileges.<BR><BR>When staying on Sherbrooke, I have occasionally parked my car on the street, on the side streets near the Musee Des Beaux Arts, (from Sherbrooke up to Mont Royal). Of course, you must carefully read and understand the parking regulation signs (in French of course) and double check them --I have often found 2 or three different regulations on one block, each in effect only for a 100 meters or so of the block!<BR><BR>

Louis Jun 11th, 2002 04:50 AM

Street parking in the downtown area (specially above Sherbrooke and below St-Antoine) is possible, but tricky. You'll have to move your car around because because parking is often forbidden on certain days, between certain hours, etc. Watch out for resident only signs, diplomatic corps, etc. Street parking in the vicinity of any metro station is also highly regulated.<BR><BR>There are many outdoor parking lots in the Sheraton area that charge about $10/day, but you won't have in/out privileges. Shop around on Stanley, Drummond, de la Montagne between Ren&eacute;-L&eacute;vesque and deMaisonneuve. Ask the attendendant how much they charge for 24 hour parking.<BR><BR>The more I think about this, the more the $17 sounds like a good deal...<BR><BR>

klam Jun 12th, 2002 12:13 PM

JD and Louis, your suggestions are helpful...I always cringe at large lump sums for parking (in this case $100!). Though it sounds like I should just shell out the bucks and pay for hotel parking...thanx for your thoughts.<BR><BR>

r-travels Jun 13th, 2002 02:08 PM

We've been leaving the car at parking lots in Longueuil, adjacent to the Metro station, or in Brossard, near the large bus/commuter terminal. Think the fee was $4 or $5/day. We left nothing of value in the car, and had no problems.

Louis Jun 13th, 2002 02:25 PM

Above suggestions for South Shore parking lots is excellent. These are "park & ride" commuter parkings. However, I do not know if they are attended during the night.

klam Jun 14th, 2002 07:11 AM

r-travels: thanx a mint for sharing your find! <BR><BR>Louis thanx for the warning. I'm not worried about an attendant at night cuz our car is neither nice nor new. But, can anyone confirm that they allow overnight parking there? <BR><BR>I looked for Brossard on the STM website (also checked AMT Commuter Rail site), but could not find it. Could you pls. clarify where Brossard is? I'm interested as I'm concerned that bridge to Longueuil will be a bottleneck, since we will be going during what I suspect is a busy weekend.

Louis Jun 14th, 2002 09:58 AM

Klam:<BR>The web page that lists all the commuter parking lots is:<BR><BR>http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/equipement/stationnement.asp<BR>(in french)<BR><BR>Brossard is on the other side of Champlain Bridge. The parking lot is on Taschereau Blvd. (route 134 est), not far from Taschereau East exit on A-10. <BR>

klam Jun 14th, 2002 04:16 PM

Louis, thanx a mint (again and again!). That was exactly the info I needed. <BR><BR>Your generousity of time and insight on many Montreal posts is appreciated!

eed Jun 17th, 2002 11:51 AM

so that $17 is Candian which is about $9-10 US. That is cheap and with the in out rights you can't beat it.

ASD Jun 17th, 2002 12:22 PM

$17 CDN is more like $11-12 US (exchange rates never REALLY work out to what the ads/exchange tabls say because whether you change money at a bank, through an ATM or pay by credit card, you do pay some kind of exchange fee)--still very inexpensive by US big city standards (compared with NYC or Boston where $25-$30 US is typical!). However,as Klam mentioned, it does hurt to pay it for when the total tab end up about $100!