Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Our good (and sometimes cranky) trip through Ontario (and Montreal)

Jul 21st, 2004, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Our trip through Canada?cranky & otherwise.

Thanks to great help from all on this board, our first trip to Ontario/Quebec went beautifully. We arrived home late last night and I wanted to get down a few quick thoughts before I lose them. So we?re the family of 4 (with a 5 & 7-year-old) who wanted some big city adventure but also a big emphasis on hiking & canoeing. We landed in Montreal and stayed at the Auberge de la Fontaine. I adored the hotel?but not everybody will so advantages & disadvantages: It?s not in a tourist area?so you very much get a sense of living as a person would in Montreal?.other than at our hotel, we saw very few travelers & we were able to go about our day without the ?tourist? sticker. We were also right across the street from a huge park so the kids could run about and we could relax. This would be a great great hotel for cyclists?the bike path is right in front of the hotel front entrance and there are many bike rental stores. The breakfast was terrific as well?..fresh breads, yogurt, fruits, cheese?very filling. Suite 6 is particularly nice & Room 4 has a terrific view. Our family fit nicely into both.

Driving out of Montreal, we stopped in Ottawa for lunch & went to the Byward market?incredible produce?.but only shop at the outdoor stands?the inside ones didn?t seem to be anything special. We then drove to Egansville ("village of a 1000 churches") which wouldn?t be a destination in itself but suited us fine as a half-stop?stayed at an odd little B&B called the Hobit Inn?.two rooms for $90 total with a huge breakfast. Can't beat the price!

Then to Whitney outside of Algonquin?stayed in Riverview Cottages?not great great but a very good location, plus we got our own canoe?.not sure where I would stay on another visit?there?s not a lot of lodging.

(whoops, 2nd part on the way?have to run to work meeting?)
Jul 21st, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

well, shoot, sorry for all of the question marks in that post...I copied it over from Word and the formatting didn't hold.
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:06 AM

... but where's the "cranky"?

L
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I was all geared up for the cranky part too!!
Jul 21st, 2004, 11:30 AM

Garvin,
How much did you pay for a room per night at the hotel? I take it that it was quiet in the neighborhood?

Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

And now for the cranky part...I had spent a great deal of time researching cars to rent...I knew I didn't want a Ford (long story) and I thought we'd splurge on a small SUV...so we reached a small Jeep Cherokee...we get to Dollar rental & the guy says "your Ford Expedition is in the lot"....well, there's no way I was going to drive a car that huge & that gas-guzzling. So the guy says, "only other car is a Ford Taurus...some exterior body damage...a few scrapes...but it runs well." I say to my husband, "hey, let's go for it...it's a so-so car but we'll save tons of money
Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

(geez, I hit "post" by accident)

...but we'll save tons of money and it'll be low on gas too. " So the guy says, "Okay, that'll be $431 for the week" and I'm all "what?" and he says that we booked a car at that price & that's the price we have to pay, no matter what car we pick out. We're trapped at this point...we're an hour late, my two small children are beginning their pre-Whine stage...and we don't even know where another car lot might be located. So we have to go for it...live & learn...next step, I'll book the cheapest car & see if I can upgrade for free.

Other cranky things: Kingston, Ontario on the river is absolutely lovely town but we were astounded by the horrible 1970s hotels & condos that block the view of the river. And our hotel - the Prince George - was eccentric & offbeat (which we like) but our room was above an Irish pub...we were warned that they played music at night and, while I wasn't expecting bagpipes, I had visualized maybe an acoustic guitar and a gallic singer but instead it was a rock band....until 2 a.m. Live & learn.

more crankiness later.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

bettyo, we paid about $180 (C) per night for our room...but that was for a family of 4 with breakfast included. Very quiet...very peaceful. Only possible issue is that the air-conditioning was colder than I like and the air is "one room fits all" and you can't adjust it....but all of the windows open and that was great.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM

Garvin, I am getting cranky just reading this! LOL
We were given a room once in Bermuda, over the restaurant. With a band in the evenings. Thank goodness we were able to be moved immediately, as 10 days with that noise would have really ruined our holiday.
The car thing deserves a nice letter to the car rental company as well as to Conde Nast Traveler Ombudsman..that was robbery!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

One more cranky thing....we rented at Riverview Cottages in Whitney (near Algonquin) and found the cottages pleasantly rustic but there's one problem...they're located next to a medium-sized dam which had bright lights around it...so we had to sleep with all of the curtains tighly closed.

A funny book for cranky travel lovers...I came across a book called "Music in Every Room" and it's about a trip around the world. The writer was in Istanbul & got a flyer for a hotel that said "Music in Every Room!" so he went to explore and found that they had placed a small transistor radio, blasting away, in the middle of the courtyard so you could hear it in every room.