Our girl is going to the British Columbia University in Vancouver

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are very excited !! Our girl is going to study her College at the British Columbia UNiversity,in Vancouver, so we, her parents have to go to Vancouver to help her in acomodation,buying cell phone etc. We live in south america ,so everything there is new for us.We need some advice about hotels near the ubc or if its better to have an hotel in downtown?, where to buy linens and everything she could need, do we have to rent a car?.We should be there the first week of september
Thankyou
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Hi, this is very exciting! I hope your daughter has a great time at that beautiful university.

There really aren't hotels that are near the university. Sometimes the university rents out accommodation for travelers, but I'm not sure if that will be available when you are there. You don't have to get a hotel in downtown, though.

Do you expect to be going to IKEA and buying stuff to bring back? If so, definitely rent a car. Look at parking costs when making a hotel decision.

If you want to buy household stuff, SuperStore or Walmart are both reasonable choices. The Bay and Sears can be good too. So can IKEA.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM

I would suggest you avoid downtown as a place to stay as it is quite far from the university, parking is difficult/costly and it is not the best for shopping.
I would also suggest if you can come in the last week or two of August instead of the first week of September it would be better. Vacancies will be very low by August and sparse in September.
You will definitely need to rent a car.
Ikea is a good suggestion for bedding and furniture items.
Homesense is also good for linens and small household things.
Criagslist Vancouver is worth looking at for last minute accommodation for your daughter, but you will need a computer to search the listings.
I would look at the B&Bs near the Kerrisdale, Dunbar, Kitsilano and Point Grey areas to stay in while you are here, as there are no hotels near the University. Make sure wherever you stay they have wifi and bring a laptop if you have it.
It's a beautiful campus. She will love it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM

Wow, all the way from South America to study at UBC.

Vancouver is among the more amazing cities on earth, and there probably aren't any others in North America which are as diverse. There is always something happening in Vancouver and you will all enjoy it very much.

Good luck!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for the answers
amapati