Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ottawa - the best driving directions to our hotel

Jun 15th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Residence Inn, 161 Laurier Avenue West. What exit should we take from route 417? I would also appreciate any detailed directions to follow specific streets to our hotel. Any street constructions on the way? We are arriving on Sunday June 27th around noon and leaving two days later around 11 am.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:51 AM
ron

Nicholas Street exit, take first left off of Nicholas which is Laurier, Laurier Bridge over the canal, city hall and provincial court on your left, cross Elgin Street, Residence Inn is in first block on your right.
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ron

Can you recommend a nice place to eat that is open on Sunday
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ron
When returning to the route 417 should we follow the same direction?

Also, can someone recommend a nice place to eat that is open on Sunday and not too far from our hotel?
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:58 PM
ron

Yes. Coming out of the hotel parking, you would have to make a left turn in the middle of the block onto Laurier. Shouldn't be that difficult, but you may have to be a bit aggressive! If that's not your style, go around the block, i.e. right onto Laurier, first right onto Metcalfe, first right onto Slater, right onto Elgin, left onto Laurier.

I work in that part of Ottawa, but I have no idea what restaurants might be open nearby on Sunday. Obviously, all the restaurants in the By Ward market will be open, my favourites are Black Tomato and Meditheo. There are a number of restaurants a few blocks south on Elgin, but I haven't eaten at any in years. Except the Mexican place, whose name escapes me. There is an Indian buffet right across from the hotel -- average food quality. If anything else comes to mind, I will come back.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Not sure what restaurants will be open on Sunday but there will also be some nice restaurants open on Elgin St. (Frescocielo, Ritz).

I believe there is also a Japanese teppanyaki restaurant which isn't bad (may be a bit $) across the street called Japanese Village.

Kasbah village has moroccan food also on laurier ave. but not sure if they are open on sunday.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:37 PM

If you're talking about a place to eat in the late morning to early afternoon, I would highly recommend the brunch at the Chateau Laurier. Here are my notes:

"Sunday Brunch at Chateau Laurier,
1 Rideau Street, Ottawa
Telephone: 613-241-1414 (Reservations aren't a bad idea).

"In a city with a number of prominent addresses, the Chateau Laurier takes its place near the top of the list in a fabulous structure that is the epitome of style and elegance, both inside and out. Perhaps it should not be surprising that such a place would host one of the finest Sunday brunches that I've ever seen (and I've visited many).

Served in Zoe's lounge, which is just to your right as you enter from the hotel's front door, the presentation is a feast for the eyes in variety, colors, smells and succulent textures of food. There is so much that it is not possible to even sample much of it, but you can resolve to visit again and it is a promise you should be happy to have the opportunity to keep. French specialities such as pates and delicately smoked salmon; croissants and breads; beef bourgignon; glazed fruit desserts; bay shrimp; trout; charcuterie; leg of lambs; crepes -- plus a full line-up of traditional breakfast favorites -- it's a fabulous cornucopia and it's all very well-prepared and presented.

As if the luscious menu itself isn't enough, it is all enjoyed in a classic, white-linen, chandeliered, dining room that will leave you feeling that you are experiencing one of life's great luxuries -- and you most certainly are. This is a five-star plus experience and you owe yourself to this wonderful treat if you find yourself in Canada's capital city on a Sunday morning. The place is, quite simply, impeccable."

(So, I guess I liked the place... )

Jun 16th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Great information, thank you all for a number of suggestions where to eat and thank you Ron for additional driving directions
Jun 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Wildflower,
For future reference, and in case there is no one as helpful as Ron around, go to mapquest.com and click on driving directions. Once you enter your departure and arrival addresses, voila! You will get detailed driving instructions that get you from point A to point B the most direct way. All you have to do is print it out and you're all set. I never leave for any trip now without checking there first - saves alot of frustration!
Jun 16th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Starfish, thank you. I checked mapquest.com. However nothing is as dependable as somebody's personal experience, in this case Ron's. Last year I got directions to our hotel in Phoenix from the airport and for some reason we got a very long complicated route on the back streets. Soon we found out there was a very easy and much shorter way to get there.

Ron, thank you again. I greatly appreciate your taking time to give me all details.

jaclois, we hope to have great moroccan food again.

Flyboy, Sunday Brunch at Chateau Laurier sounds, looks and smells very inviting
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:30 AM

My brunch vote would go to Chateau Laurier as well. But if you want a less expensive option, try Eggspectations at the southeast corner of Bank and Laurier, 2-3 blocks west of where you are staying. Eggspectations is a smallish chain that specializes in breakfast/brunch/lunch and is very good. It's also very popular on Sundays so you might have to line up.