Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Ottawa hotel locations (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/ottawa-hotel-locations-213097/)

jh6000 Jan 27th, 2003 02:24 PM

Ottawa hotel locations

Hi,<BR><BR>I'm going to Ottawa for the winterfest and was hoping to get feedback on the location of several hotels; Arc the hotel, Marriott, Radisson and the Crowne Plaza. <BR><BR>Are these all pretty well located to the things most tourists would want to see/be near: Byward Market, Parliament Hill, waterfront? Are any definitely not convenient from this standpoint?<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>John H

jsiegendorf Jan 27th, 2003 03:13 PM

I am going to Winterlude also. I am staying at Arc and it is 3 blocks from Spark St. Mall and Parliament Hill. Ottawa is relatively compact, so any downtown hotel is good. Check out www.ottawakiosk.com for hotel locations. Hope this helps!

ron Jan 27th, 2003 06:54 PM

If we take the War Memorial/Confederation Square as the centre of Ottawa, Arc the.hotel is 3 blocks away, the Marriott is 4, Crowne Plaza 5 and Radisson 6 blocks.

jacolis Jan 28th, 2003 04:22 AM

Hi John,<BR><BR>Personally, I would try and get a room at the Chateau Laurier or the Westin Hotel because both of these are literally ON the canal. You will also get great views of all the skaters, etc. They are both about a 2 minute walk from Parliament.<BR><BR>With regard to the other hotels, I think it depends on what you are looking for. I love Arc - it is very trendy and Phillipe Starck-esque. The restaurant is fabulous. But, it is very expensive and the rooms are small. If you are in your 20s/30s you will love it.<BR><BR>The Mariott and the Crowne Plaza are next door to each other. They are the furthest away from the market and Parliament (5-10 minutes walk). Which Marriott - if it is the one in the market, you are smack dab in the middle of things but it is the least luxurious hotel. <BR><BR>I don't think any of these would be a bad choice. As I said, if you can splurge, go for the Westin or Chateau Laurier. Be sure to have a beaver tail on the canal while you are here!<BR><BR>Lisa

Curt Jan 29th, 2003 10:48 AM

The Marriott directly in the market is a &quot;Courtyard by Marriott&quot;and it is a fine hotel. Typcial Courtyard layout but nice rooms and very convenient to everything in the market area as well as to the activities around the canal. My stay in the Courtyard was find and I could find no fault with this hotel at all.

Curt Jan 29th, 2003 10:48 AM

The Marriott directly in the market is a &quot;Courtyard by Marriott&quot;and it is a fine hotel. Typcial Courtyard layout but nice rooms and very convenient to everything in the market area as well as to the activities around the canal. My stay in the Courtyard was fine and I could find no fault with this hotel at all.

JackLanghorne Jan 29th, 2003 06:29 PM

Ottawa central is quite small and all of the attractions are easily within walking distance. If you are to chose between your options, I would choose the Arc. At the same time, my favorite hotels in Ottawa is the Westin. Very nice rooms with exquisite views of Ottawa, a nice health club and it is connected to the Ottawa convention center and the shopping mall. It is right next to Byward market and is a 5 minute walk to Parliament Hill and Sparks Street shopping district. The Chateau Laurier is also nice if you like old world charm but I found the rooms to be quite small and sometimes musty.

jh6000 Jan 29th, 2003 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies. The Chateau seems to be sold out. Ended up going with the Radisson based on price and the fact that the city appears very walk-able, even in the cold.<BR><BR>Many thanks.<BR><BR>John H