Ottawa - best hotels for couple no kids

Jun 22nd, 2001, 02:08 PM
John

Ottawa - best hotels for couple no kids

Heard about the "Castle"... is it really that beautiful? Also I have two options sent to me by some friends that are getting married at the end of july: Courtyard Marriott and Marriott Ottawa. We have a car and want to drive around also.

Jun 24th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Mark

"Couple w/no kids"- that's us also.

We've made three trips to Ottawa and stayed in both the Sheraton and Westin and liked both. Based on Marriott's reputation (and prior experience with this change) I would guess they (full service Marriott Ottawa) are ok also. Someone might confirm this, but the Marriott and Sheraton probably puts you closer to public parking garages.

In terms of location, I'd go with either the Chateau Laurier or Westin, and lean toward the latter because while I'm not familiar with the Chateau, I do know the Westin gives you the option of self-parking (much easier when you want to go off on the spur of the moment). Rooms in the hotel are gorgeous ("deluxe" gives you the views of the Rideau Canal and Parliament), and the hotel's health club is superb.
Westin (and Chateau) puts you in walking distance of the Byward Market, Parliament Hill, Sparks St. Mall and most everything on Wellington Drive.

Jun 24th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Jim Rosenberg

There are a number of choices with great proximity to the sites in downtown Ottawa, including: Lord Elgin Hotel, Crown Plaza and the Capital Hill Hotel & Suites, just to list three more. Happy Trails!

Jun 26th, 2001, 11:21 AM
lISA

There is also a really nice B & B near the canal called the Carmichael Inn. They have a wonderful spa and you can book romantic packages with a "tub for two",etc.

check it out at http://www.carmichaelinn.com

My husband and I stayed overnight with one of the spa packages and really enjoyed it.

Jun 26th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Clousie

We stayed at the Lord Elgin quite a few years ago and really enjoyed both the location and the unique character. Just wondered if it's still a nice hotel.

Want to get back to Ottawa soon.