Search

Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec Help Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec Help Please

HI,
Would like to see Montreal & Quebec City.
Someone also recommended Ottawa. We love to see pretty things, old architecture, etc.
How much time would we need in each city?
Also love natural beauty. Suggestions?
Thanks,
Linda
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

OOps, meant to say pretty PLACES, not pretty things!
Old Jul 5th, 2005, 06:54 AM

How much time you spend depends on how much you have available. For a week, I would spend two days in Ottawa, two in Québec City, and three in Montréal.

For Ottawa, check these websites: http://www.capcan.ca/index_e.asp

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/english/home.cfm
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 06:24 PM

I've been to Ottawa, and one day is enough. Is is a small city, and you do not have a lot to see. As for Montreal and Quebec City, lots to see.
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 02:55 AM

orchid: It's nice that you have visited Ottawa. What would you recommend to the traveller who has only the one day that you suggest is enough?
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I would agree that two days is good for Ottawa. We took the open top bus tour of the city and then spent the second day simply walking around. Quebec City is also good for 2 days. We didn't take any tours, we just walked around but it was lovely. As for Montreal, it really depends on what you want to see/do. There are also bus tours you could take, there is Old Montreal and the new city that is fun. I think laverendrye is right. For info about Montreal, check out this site: http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

Enjoy your visit!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Hi,

You can visit Parliament Hill, Canadian Museum of Civilisation is interesting, have a walk long the 'Rideau Canal', or Spark Steet Mall (historic outdoor pedestrian mall), both close to the Parliament Hill (walking distance). I did them in one day (got there early in the morning though)
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 10:06 AM

Parliament Hill (tours of Centre and East Blocks and Changing of the Guard) and the Museum of Civilization are certainly must sees. Sparks Street Mall is a bit ho-hum--the many restaurants and shops of the Byward Market are far more interesting. You can walk or bike along the Rideau Canal, but a boat trip is the best way to see it.

These would probably take up a good part of a day's visit. This means that in a one day visit one would miss, for example:

a. The other first-class national museums (National Gallery, Science and Technology, Aviation, Nature, and the new stunning War Museum).

b. National Historic Sites: Laurier House, Kingsmere, and the Governor-General's residence at Rideau Hall.

c. Other special interest museums (children's, Postal, Currency, Agriculture, Photography etc.)

d. Natural attractions such as the Gatineau Park.

I could go on, but my point is that it's selling Ottawa short to say as orchid did, that "there's not a lot to see".
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

thanks
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 09:31 AM
sockboy

I too, would spend two full days in Ottawa, but you could squish the hilites (parliament, Rideau Canal and the Museum of Civilisation) into a full day - that is, one where you spend two nights in Ottawa.