Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   NYC to Adirondacks to Niagara Falls and Toronto Road Trip - Advise Please?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/nyc-to-adirondacks-to-niagara-falls-and-toronto-road-trip-advise-please-890852/)

maushami_banik May 15th, 2011 09:41 AM

NYC to Adirondacks to Niagara Falls and Toronto Road Trip - Advise Please?!

My husband and I have newly moved to NYC from the UK and are currently planning a road trip for6 days from NYC to Adirondacks to Niagara Falls to Toronto.. and possibly Finger Lakes and back. I'm not sure if my aim is too ambitious to complete in 6 days or not and hence need all the advise!

We're thinking of driving towards Adirondacks on Tuesday night- stay somewhere in the Adirondacks and do a hiking trail (easy to medium level.. either around a lake/ mountains and/ or waterfalls) on Wednesday. Thursday, head towards Niagara Falls and stay overnight. Friday head towards Toronto and stay Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday head towards Finger Lakes and stay overnight. Monday, head back towards NYC.

Could someone please advise on what the drive times would be like approximately, if we do this road trip?

Also, could someone please suggest what the best region would be to stay in the Adirondacks (bearing in mind that it shouldn't be too far a drive from NYC as we'll be driving there on Tuesday evening).

Advise on places to stay near the Niagara Falls, Toronto and Finger Lakes would also be appreciated!

Any advise on things to do within the time we have (6 days) in those areas would also be very helpful!

Our budget of accomodation would be $100-£200 a night. We do not want overly luxurious accomodation, but neither do we want dead-beat hotels/ lodges!

Looking forward to some feedback!

Morningglory47 May 15th, 2011 08:41 PM

You're planning on doing too much driving...maybe save Toronto and even the Falls for another trip.

BAK May 16th, 2011 05:00 AM

Plan your trip in a circle, from NYC to the mountains to Niagara to Toronto to Kingston (Ontario) and across the IVY Lee Bridge and down to Watertown and south to NYC.

Six days should be fine.

I'm sure you'll get more info here, soon.

BAK

sailingchick May 16th, 2011 06:57 AM

I would advise skipping the Finger Lakes. Its a pretty area but not "magnificent". I consider Niagara Falls magnificent. You can take "the maid of the mist" boat tour right to the edge of the falls. http://www.maidofthemist.com/en/
I've seen the boat by the falls but have never taken it, although I'd like to - it looks like a great way to experience the falls. Your other option might be to save Toronto for another visit. The Finger Lakes is beginning to be known for its wines, and you could spend a day there doing wine tastings/vineyard tour.

garyt22 May 16th, 2011 07:26 AM

When you leave NYC and head toward the Adirondacks, you will have to leave the main highways and the driving is slower...

I would recommend that you reverse your trip order and spend day one from NYC to Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes... have a look at www.watkinsglenharborhotel.com try to hike the trail at watkins glen state park...

On day 2 take a fun drive along the Finger Lakes and visit some wineries on your way to Niagara Falls. If you reach Niagara in late afternoon, try to stop on Goat Island on the US side and do Cave of the Winds before crossing to Canada...Spend the night on the Canadian side, perhaps at the Fallsview Resort, Embassy Suites or Oakes Hotel and get up early for the Maid of the Mist and a day of seeing the area.

After dinner (and rush hour) head for Toronto for late desert and check in... if you are more budget oriented, try bidding on priceline for a 4 star property, all are usually very good...OR if you want a great location, consider the Marriott Eaton Centre or the Intercontinental on Front Street... after two nights in Toronto you will face your longest drives...

Head from Toronto to the Adirondacks via the NY Thruway and consider Lake George or Lake Placid as a destination... plenty to do in the areas ... this is the boring ride until you get there...

Then leave along the NY Thruway and head for home...

All of this can be done but the last two drives are the longest and mostly highway...

have fun!

maushami_banik May 16th, 2011 08:01 AM

thanks so much!