Novia Scotia from Eastport, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- Planning a summer trip - no dates yet. Visiting family in Eastport Maine will stay there one night maybe two then considering Nova Scotia. We have two reasonably active kids ages 8 & 10. Any suggestions where to stay what to do or don't go????? Would likely stay 3 nights. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 04:56 PM

OK, it's 300 mile from Eastport to Truro, NS.

Are you saying "3 nights" total for the side-trip?

With restless kids you're going to have a tough time doing very much comfortably with considerable ground to cover.

If I had to prioritize things given your constraints...

I'd cross the border at Calais, and then maybe stop for lunch in Saint John, before taking the freeway and then cutting down through Fundy National Park and around to <b>Hopewell Cape, NB</b>. The scene there at low tide is really <I>educational</I>, among other things.

You would have no time to waste, so you'd pick-up from there and then back to Moncton, crossing into NS, and then, eh, maybe that first night in Truro. (and you don't pick <I>Truro</I> for reasons other than convenience)

(this is already <I><b>crazy</b>-seeming</I> but... )

The 2nd night, target any of Baddeck, Ingonish, or Pleasant Bay (all up north). It's 161 miles or <b>three hours</b> of driving from Truro to Baddeck.

<b>In my perfect world</b> you would get such an early start from Truro that you could reach Baddeck <b>and then</b> drive the circuit of the Cabot Trail that afternoon/evening... <I>getting back to Baddeck or somewhere near to there by nightfall.</I>

So that's already your 2nd night, and you only have one more prior to wanting to return to the U.S.

So maybe you target the Moncton, NB area for your third night and maybe, for some variety, upon reaching Truro, you drive west along Highway #2, along the Fundy shore, to Parrsboro, and then north toward Amherst and eventually Moncton.

It's gonna be a whirlwind adventure...
Old Mar 20th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Damn I'm tired just reading that Wonder if there is a ferry that could put us and the car on to get over to NS? Been digging not finding much yet. May need to consider a different Canadian destination. Thanks for your well thought out response NorthwestMale. BTW kids are good in the car but the hubby will be restless
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

I found a ferry that leaves from St John Canada and goes to NS - takes 3 hours and allows cars. Thought that would be a time saver. NWman if you are out there any thoughts on that?
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 07:07 PM

I answered your other thread.

The ferry idea is <I>evolving</I>, in my mind, and saaaaaaaay, if you want to mainly target Halifax, perhaps the ferry to Digby would be the start on a path that crosses NS on highway 10, reaching Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, and Peggy's Cove enroute.

(that path from Digby to Halifax is about 160 miles of driving)

I do prefer the stuff on the northern path, vs. the ferry and the southern portion.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 07:31 PM
ltt

you could go to nova scotia - brier island, digby, anapolis royal area - but you won't be able to go to far with only 3 nights. hardly seems worth it to me. nova scotia deserves weeks.
since you say your kids are active and if you want to visit canada...have you looked at fundy national park and hopewell rocks, new brunswick. it's a little closer
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

I am rethinking things folks - perhaps a week to 10 days in NS would be much better. I am gravitating toward Cape Breton and other Northern areas.....may have to do southern NS another time. Thanks for your posts and all the suggestions.