Nova Scotia/PEI trip

Apr 19th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Nova Scotia/PEI trip

Hello all. We'd appreciate any feedback on the tentative schedule for our Nova Scotia/PEI trip.
We're landing at Halifax 11:30PM on July 2 and leaving 5PM Sunday, July 8.
Our tentative plan is to stay in Halifax the first nite, pick up a rental car in the morning and drive to Baddeck. Stay there 3 nites and see as much of the Cabot Trail and other sights as possible.
Early Friday drive to Pictou, catch the ferry to PEI and stay there Fri and Sat nites.
Our biggest question is getting from PEI to Halifax on Sunday to catch our 5PM flight. Is this doable or do you see a problem? How about the allocation of days at each place?
We're 60ish and like to avoid long drives as much as possible. We're more into seeing the sights, relaxing on the beach, enjoying music, and soaking up as much of the local ambience as we can.
We'd appreciate your ideas and would love to hear some of the things you think we must see or do while we're there. It's not fair that a 5 day work week lasts so much longer than a 7 day vacation!
Thanks very much for your input. We can't wait to get there.
Apr 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM

You are going to love this holiday and wish it was longer. I think having done these places many times your allocations of time are good. In a perfect world you would have a few more days....

You will have no problem getting to the airport on Sunday. The airport in Halifax ia outside of the city so you wont have traffic to contend with.

When you are in Cape Breton there are afternoon cielidhs at places like The Red Shoe Pub http://redshoepub.com/in Mabou or at the Glenora Distillery http://www.glenoradistillery.com/glenbreton.htm- both worth a visit.

In Baddeck I have stayed at the Inverary Inn http://www.capebretonresorts.com/our...nverary-resort and they had a fiddler at the bonfire at night which was really nice. As well local music in the pub.

In PEI I might suggest that you stay on the shore-the beaches in the Cavendish area are very popular but I might suggest Brackley beach or Stanhope area.

I hope you have a fantastic time!
Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM

We have done the trip you're planning, only staying a bit longer than you. That was 8 yrs ago and we're going this time for a month. I'd also suggest McIntyre Cabins in Baddeck. very clean and nice and that way, you might enjoy having the kitchen. Alexander Graham Bell museum is a must to see.In Halifax, great pub and music at Lower Deck (right close to the MaritimeMuseum which was great as well)
Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM

FYI - The drive from Charlottetown to Halifax via the bridge generally takes 3.5 hours. If you factor in your check-in time as well as pad for any unforeseen troubles you will still have time for a nice brunch before leaving the Island.

Search this Thread