Nova Scotia-Peggy's Cove VRBO rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone used VRBO to rent a place in Peggy's Cove?
We are talking with an owner about a July rental. I know every VRBO owner sets his own policy, but this one called to confirm my rental request and then asked for me to give my credit card number to bill me for the entire rental now ($2000).
We are talking 5 months from now. I said I would need to see something in writing (ie, rental contract) and I had expected a deposit to hold the rental of maybe 25% with the balance due in the month before I arrive.
Anyone else think this policy unusual?
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 08:58 AM

We booked a place near Peggy's Cove last fall...it was called Sunset Cottage...stay away from it!!...it was an October rental...there was no heat or hot water even...He said the key would be waiting at the cottage...I had to track him down to get the key...when we arrived and realised there was no heat(sorry an electric space heater about the size of a toaster to heat a 3 bedroom cottage) we asked for our deposit back which he refused at first but then gave it half back..he said we should have know there was no heat....lesson learned!!...We then moved last minute to Ocean Stone cottages...had stayed there in the past but wanted to try somewhere different...our mistake...Ocean Stone was lovely as usual...I cannot say enough nice things about this place...check out the website.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Had you paid anything more than the deposit before you arrived? I am uneasy as she wants the full amount now, 5 months before our scheduled stay dates. If I encountered something like you did, I'd be up a creek without a paddle!
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:10 AM

I've used VRBO before and it has been 1/2 up front and 1/2 during or at the end of the stay. I would never pay 100% 5 months out. That would be a deal breaker for me, personally.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Ignutah, I would pass on this one. I agree w/ Artsbabe that this request for 100% upfront by credit card is the dealer breaker. Trust your instincts.

I would not give my credit card number to somebody for the full amount 5 months in advance. Asking you to do so is unreasonable. Find somewhere else. Then give them a deposit...25% or 30% or even 50%.
Ask about the cancellation policy "in case something unforeseen occurs & you have to cancel".

I always pay accommodation deposits by cheque sent by registered mail when I am dealing with an individual. I would not give a VRBO person my credit card number.

Check out Ocean Stone as suggested by Jannieween above.

All the best. Please let us know what happens.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Tourist Accommodations in Nova Scotia are regulated and governed by the "Tourist Accommodations Act". Any tourist accommodations including hotels, motels, Inns, B&Bs, cottages and campgrounds rented to the travelling public for periods under 30 days must, by law, be licenced by the Department of Tourism. Licencing carries with it the requirement to be inspected. Unfortunately, the Department has not been very diligent in carrying out this responsibility and there are many operators renting unlicenced, illegal accommodations. While many of these accommodations may be fine, there are also many that are sub-standard. Of particular concern are those that do not even meet the basic fire safety and insurance requirements required by law. If you rent an unlicenced accommodations and something goes wrong, such as in the case of Sunset Cottage listed above, you have absolutely no recourse.

While some of the properties listed on VRBO are licenced, not all are. If you want to find licenced and legal properties in Nova Scotia, go to the Province of Nova Scotia Tourism website at www.novascotia.com

Good Luck
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM

That policy does seem a bit much. Check out this place
www.vrbo.com/252951. I've been and it's very nice!
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM

That policy does seem a bit much. Check out this place
www.vrbo.com/252951. I've been and it's very nice! They only wanted 1/2 up front and the other 1/2 60 days prior to visit.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

That place does look great, but we want to take our dog and it isn't "pet friendly".
We got the actual address of the first place and once I looked at it with google maps/satellite, I decided it wasn't what I wanted anyway.
We ended up picking a place in Prospect (about 25 min from Halifax) in a really remote location (but on the ocean) so our dog can run.
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM

We rented a house from Cottage Connection a few years ago and had no problems at all. They're very reputable.

http://www.stayinnovascotia.com/about.shtml