Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

FERRY CRUISE PORT HARDY/PRINCE RUPERT/SKAGWAY

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 10:37 PM
Lynne

Can anyone give me a comparison of the trip Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, and Prince Rupert to Skagway. We had planned to go all the way and then motor back down to Vancouver but we are now having second thoughts. A respondent to my e-mail has started us thinking on the vastness of the area that we want to cover in a month and perhaps we would be more prudent to do only as far as Prince Rupert and then motor BC and Alberta. So I need some help from someone who has ferried the whole distance and can give me some ideas of the difference between the two sections.

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 02:29 PM
Bob Brown

I tried one reply but Fodors didn't want it, or so it seems because it never got registered.

I am responding because no one else has picked up on this. I have not taken the ferry rides you describe. But my understanding is that the section north of Prince Rupert is the more scenic.
Others who have been there can comment.
Two ferry systems will be involved. BC Ferries takes you from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. There is a BC Ferries website that gives good info. Bear in mind that it no trivial matter to get to Port Hardy. I presume you plan on taking the ferry from Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen to Nanaimo and then drive from there. I tried driving from Victoria to Port Hardy once, but got half way in a day. We did stop a few times, but it was slow going.

I am also going to be a buttinski and ask you why in the world you would want to take a trip driving over such huge distances. If you take the Prince Rupert - Vancourver drive, it is more than 600 miles over relatively curvey and mountainous roads. There are many places you can go in BC and Alberta that will give you more for you money.
I have visited BC many times and after 250 miles of woods on mountain slopes, I am ready for something else.
Your route once on land is the wooded version of the Outback.

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 07:13 PM
Toni

Bob, I think you're thinking of Lynne's previous post that you replied to.

Lynne, I'm guessing your heart is set on one ferry trip or another. We haven't been on either, but if I were starting from Vancouver, I think I would probably do the Port Hardy - Prince Rupert ride.

You may want to consider starting from Edmonton if you want to do the Prince Rupert - Skagway Ferry and just do a loop in northern BC, the Yukon and Alberta.

Bob is right, to leave from Port Hardy, you'd have to ferry across to the island first, then drive up a long stretch to Port Hardy. You would most likely choose the Tsawassen ferry, because while you're there, you really don't want to miss seeing Victoria and at least the Butchard Gardens. Then there's that little side trip to Tofino and Long Beach, maybe a whale watch... well... you get the picture.

It is at least 500 km from Victoria to Port Hardy, although you could cut it down to 400 if you choose to take the ferry to Nanaimo instead. I believe it is a much shorter ride from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert than from Prince Rupert to Skagway. I'm thinking like 15 hours? Don't quote me. Also, again, there are only a couple of sailings a week and they do require advance booking. I have no idea what the cost is, but since it is BC Ferries, it will be quoted in Canadian Dollars as appose to what I told you the Alaska Ferry would cost.

After you hit Prince Rupert though, it would not be unreasonable to tour around Alberta and back through BC to Vancouver.

I know you're still waiting for someone who has actually done the ferries to reply and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 11:24 AM
Theresa

Hi Lynne,

Lo and behold, I've done the journey and have some advice. Port Hardy - Prince Rupert is an 'Inside Passage' through some of the most beautiful coastline I've seen in N. America and Prince Rupert - Skagway is pretty much the same except further north, however, I would NOT drive back to Vancouver from either! It's is a waste of precious time if you only have a month. There are many more scenic drives in BC I could suggest. What is your mode of transportation? RV or car? Do you need lodging? How about taking the ferry to one of the most magical places (for me) in the northern hemisphere, The Queen Charlotte Islands. Then a fly-in, kayaking or boat trip to a 'Haida Gwaii Native Peoples' territory island, where the locals are rich in culture and gentle hospitality? I agree with Bob that for a month adventure to BC, you could do alot more interesting things than spend all your time driving in the 'outback'. I've travelled all through BC, Yukon & Alberta over the years and one such sebbatical was for 14 months and I have some great ideas. Airfares could end up being a better way to spend your money than on gas, lodgeing and meals on an arduous trek back to Vancouver. But if you go all the way up to Prince Rupert, then why not go to the 'Galapagos of the North'? I will do it again and again! It truly is a special place on earth; if you like the culture, peaceful and uniqueness of true wilderness that is accessible by vehicle from a ferry ride or flight. Would be happy to help with more info, if you wish.

happy trails,

Theresa

Old Jan 22nd, 1999, 11:25 AM
Theresa

Hi Lynne,

Lo and behold, I've done the journey and have some advice. Port Hardy - Prince Rupert is an 'Inside Passage' through some of the most beautiful coastline I've seen in N. America and Prince Rupert - Skagway is pretty much the same except further north, however, I would NOT drive back to Vancouver from either! It's is a waste of precious time if you only have a month. There are many more scenic drives in BC I could suggest. What is your mode of transportation? RV or car? Do you need lodging? How about taking the ferry to one of the most magical places (for me) in the northern hemisphere, The Queen Charlotte Islands. Then a fly-in, kayaking or boat trip to a 'Haida Gwaii Native Peoples' territory island, where the locals are rich in culture and gentle hospitality? I agree with Bob that for a month adventure to BC, you could do alot more interesting things than spend all your time driving in the 'outback'. I've travelled all through BC, Yukon & Alberta over the years and one such sebbatical was for 14 months and I have some great ideas. Airfares could end up being a better way to spend your money than on gas, lodgeing and meals on an arduous trek back to Vancouver. But if you go all the way up to Prince Rupert, then why not go to the 'Galapagos of the North'? I will do it again and again! It truly is a special place on earth; if you like the culture, peaceful and uniqueness of true wilderness that is accessible by vehicle from a ferry ride or flight. Would be happy to help with more info, if you wish.

happy trails,

Theresa