Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia in 8 days - help with itinerary

Dec 1st, 2019, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

I've read quite a bit here and elsewhere online and am still having trouble deciding on a good itinerary for our 8 days in Nova Scotia next September (we arrive on a Friday and leave a week+ later on Sunday, so actually 9 nights). We're an active couple in our early 60s (well, maybe mid- by next September!) and enjoy light hiking, good scenery, quaint towns suitable for strolling, and good food and wine - so I think we're going to the right place! Not really interested in whale watching - we've both done it before and hubby is prone to seasickness. Here's where we'd like to go, but are uncertain how to string it together:

Halifax
Lunenburg
Wolfville - wineries
Tidal bore rafting - this is my husband's idea (despite seasickness!) - but I'm willing to give it a try
Advocate Harbour
Cape Breton

We plan to rent a car, and we could head straight to Lunenburg from the airport for the first first night (or two), then on to Wolfville for the next night. It seems we MIGHT be able to do the rafting enroute to Advocate Harbour, where we'd spend another two nights - given that we'd get there late in the day if we stopped for rafting along the way. Then to Cape Breton for 2 nights and back to Halifax for the last 2 nights. Does that make sense?

Is 2 nights enough for Cape Breton? Should we stay in two separate places - maybe Mabou or Cheticamp and Ingonish? Or maybe spend both nights in Baddeck?

Or would it be better to base ourselves in Halifax for the first few days and do day trips to Lunenburg and Wolfville? That would mean coming each night but it would be less packing/unpacking. We'd welcome your suggestions!