Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia April, best way to get there from NYC?

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodors Friends

I'll be going to NYC with my husband this April. I want to visit a friend who's about 1 hour from Halifax while he's doing his business stuff.

Any thoughts or suggestions about whether I should fly or take the train to Halifax?

I've not been to NS before and I'm so looking forward to this.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

With Gratitude,
Dutch Bunny

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask: will there be wildflowers blooming there in April? I could go in June . . . Thank you!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Dutch Bunny, you could take a train from New York to Montreal, and then change to a train to Halifax, but it would take the best part of two days.

I think flying is the best option. There are a couple of US carriers offering direct flights, which take about two hours from gate to gate. You'd have more options if you were prepared to connect in Boston, Montreal, or Toronto. I'd suggest you check out Expedia or Travelocity to see what might be available.

April in Nova Scotia ... we like to fool ourselves by saying it's early spring but late winter would be a better description. There will certainly be some sunny, warm days, but we often have cold, wet, and windy weather. We occasionally have snow during the first week or two of April, but it doesn't last long.

So, April's a bit early for flowers, although we do get our early bulbs--crocuses and snow drops--in very late March and early April. Just to put it perspective, our tulips bloom in late May.

Anselm

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:11 PM
wow

You shd fly. And, you shd go in June, the later the better. I travel to NS a lot. April is not a great time to be there. Previous poster described it acurately as "late winter"! It can be cold. It can be rainy/snowy. It can be downright miserable. So, go in June & fly.
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 03:32 AM

Depending on where you are staying in NY, it would still be a better part of two days travelling to and from NS even by air! By the time you travel to the airport, check in (at least one hour before flight or maybe two depending on carrier), two hour flight to NS and then a drive to your destination. I would check it out carefully! And there is no guarantee you won't hit a snowstorm when you arrive in NS! Later in the month is less likely!