Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

North of Quebec: Manicouagan & Gaspesie, trip itinerary

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This summer I had an 11-day car trip to the North of Quebec, attending Manicouagan Reservoir, Manic-2 and Manic-5 facilities, and Gaspesie. I made a brief slide/video show about the trip which includes itinerary, practical information about the route and some attractions.
It may help planning your own trip to the Quebec North:
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 01:14 PM

Thanks for this report! We are interested in doing the Gaspe peninsula but hadn't thought about combining it with the North shore and those HQ dams! How is the ferry crossing at Matane? DH Is not good on boats...

And were the tours only in English of the dams?

MERCI!
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi jacolis,
Ferry is OK, at least in a good weather, it is quite big, so we did not feel waves or anything. Quite smooth. It takes about 2-2.5 hours to cross.
Note that there are two ferries to Matane per day, one from Baie-Comeau, another from Godbout (50 km between). One in the morning, another in the afternoon, but time alternates between two towns, you need to check the schedule. Correspondingly, from Matane to the north you will have two ferries per day.

Re the tours, normally they are in French, if you need English they will provide an English speaking person for you (during summer time there are students guiding the visitors).
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:28 AM

Congratulations! You have discovered a part of Canada that most of us know nothing about. And a trip built partly around hydro-electric dams is intriguing -- especially seeing wind turbines at the other end of the ferry ride across the gulf of St-Lawrence. Big place, isn't it?
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Southam, yes, HydroQuebec is quite big and powerful company, given that it is monopolist in the province. About 98% of generated electric power in Quebec is from the renewable sources. And this is why electric power here is the cheapest in Canada and US.
Re the wind turbines which you can see in my video, there were two big fields on my way. The first one is seen when I filmed them from the ferry near Matane - they are to the south from the town. The second field is 70 km to the north, near Cap-Chat, this is the one where you can see the vertical axis wind generator.
I think there are more in the Gaspesie inland part, I remember I saw them in 2007 when I was in Gaspesie for the first time.