Proof of auto insurance

Search

Proof of auto insurance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proof of auto insurance

I plan to drive in canada in September and read in the Forum that auto insurance companies issue a "Canada Card" as proof of insurance.
I contacted my Allstate agent and he read a directive to me advising that Allstate did issue such a card, but on June 11th 2007 they discontinued this practice.
The agent advised that ,atleast in Allstates case, my "California=Proof of Auto Insurance Card" is now acceptable in Canada.
Those planning a Canada trip may want to check with their insurance company.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Cool. I only wonder if Allstate told the local cops this. Could be a few cool hours in the slammer while they learn this. Often the person with the badge is the last to know of new government directives.

Coupla years ago, a rookie cop locally busted and trashed a guys three plant grow op. The 'perp' had a certificate from the feds for medical marijuana.
Ooops.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM

Geico issued a card to me as usual, with no mention of it being unnecessary. Who knows?
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM

Hmmm, I've lived in both Canada and the U.S., have visited back and forth countless times over the last 25 years, rented cars many times in both countries while living in the other, have driven my U.S. licensed car into Canada, and vice versa also many times. I have never encountered a problem.

My Insurance company always assured me that my Canadian Insurance covered me in the U.S., both for my own car and for rentals. I am fairly certain the same applied when I lived in the U.S. and drove back into Canada regularly. I always just carried whatever standard Insurance certificate was issued in my wallet, nothing more.

There are thousands and thousands of people crossing the border by car daily, both directions. I have never heard of any major issues around auto insurance, as long as you have it.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM

When I owned my insurance agency for decades our insurance companies issued a special card for those insureds going to Canada. I have no idea if Canada law enforcement now accepts proof of insurance from a US insurance company without the special Canada insurance card but no doubt going onto Google will pull up the information. I would think Allstate knows what they are talking about. And I just read Igray's post, I assume Igray is a Canadian and consequently is familiar with Canada's law and requirements.

Yes, Mexico is a whole different subject. Any American or Canadian planning on driving in Mexico needs to obtain Mexican insurance. You are considered "guilty" even if your vehicle is rearended.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 01:34 AM

The rules may differ from province to province, but should be the very similar. Here's what the official Ontario website says:

Driving Documents
A valid driver's licence from any country is good in Canada for three months, but you may want to get an International Driver's Licence before your trip, for extra identification. If you're driving to Canada from the United States, bring the vehicle registration forms and a free Canadian Non-Resident Insurance Card from your insurance agent, or the policy itself. The minimum combined liability insurance in Ontario is $200,000. If you're driving a borrowed car, bring a letter of permission signed by the owner. If you're driving a rented car, bring a copy of the rental contract. Visitors are allowed to operate a Recreational Vehicle and/or Motor Home in Ontario as long as they are authorized to operate this vehicle in their home jurisdiction.