Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Niagara Falls, NY or ON? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/niagara-falls-ny-or-on-460729/)

Moworld Jul 18th, 2004 04:53 PM

Niagara Falls, NY or ON?

My husband and I are planning a weekend getaway to the Falls in September. This will be our first trip to the area. We would like to spend some time on the US side and some in Canada, including going into Toronto for a day. Any recommendations, for accomodations (is one side better than the other?), transport to Toronto, as well as any suggestions of things to see in Toronto are much appreciated.

Miss_Lynne Jul 18th, 2004 05:51 PM

I'd go to Niagara-On-The-Lake on the Ontario side, neither one of the two Falls - too touristy. Stop to see the Falls and then go to Niagara-On-The-Lake.

kodi Jul 18th, 2004 06:49 PM

NIagara Falls is touristy for a reason. It is beautiful and everyone wants to see it!That is why they go there. Niagara on the Lake is a quaint town and worth seeing, but I doubt that people would come from all over the world to see it. Sometimes when people have seen tourist spots so many times, they forget that it is a real thrill for most people. I've recently had guests who thoroughly enjoyed the Canadian side. There are many newer beautiful hotels with a view of the falls. I stayed in one years ago , and never got enough of watching the the water going over the falls. The Cnadian side does give you a much better view.
Visit Niagara on the Lake if you like to shop.good luck.

djkbooks Jul 18th, 2004 09:01 PM

While the American side of the Falls is definitely touristy, except for Clifton Hill, the Ontario side is not. The Niagara Parks Commission in Ontario does a sensational job of beautifying the area along the falls and keeping the touristy stuff out of sight.

Due to the configuration of the Falls, the views are simly superior on the Canadian side.

If you're driving to Toronto for only one day, you'd want to have the border crossing out of the way.

As you have no specific seeing and doing plans for Toronto, be advised that once you arrive at the Falls, you may decide to skip Toronto. For a weekend visit, I'd head for Niagara-on-the-Lake instead. You might want to check out www.shawfest.com

Mazey Jul 19th, 2004 04:20 AM

I think the NY side is quite dumpy compared to the Ontario side. I would never even entertain the thought of staying on the US side.

audra Jul 19th, 2004 01:08 PM

Oh gosh, stay on the Canadian side.

Did you do a *search* here??? Type in Niagara Falls in the search box above for alot of current, useful information.

BuffaloGirl Jul 19th, 2004 05:20 PM

Stay on the Canadian side. But view the falls from both sides. There is no better side to view the falls, because the views are completely different!!! The Canadian side offers a distant, panoramic view of the American and Canadian falls. It's an unbelievable view. On the American side, you can stand at the railing next to the brink of the falls. It is awesome to stand so close as the water plunges over. Also, on the American side you have many side views. There are many vantage points on Goat Island. Also, you can walk along the upper rapids on the American side. People do a dis-service to tourists when they tell them to just see it from the Canadian side.

Niagara on the Lake, while picturesque, is a tourist trap. But Niagara and Toronto will keep you very busy.

P.S. I love the St. Lawrence market in Toronto.

Just my opinions. Have fun.

kodi Jul 19th, 2004 05:28 PM

I agree with Buffalo Girl on most things but do have to add something. ON the Canadian side you can also stand at the brink of the falls right at the railing and watch the water tumble over the falls.

BuffaloGirl Jul 20th, 2004 06:11 AM

Thanks for correcting me, Kodi. There is a spot on the Canadian side, but the American side offers more options of brink and side views! I love them all!

I'll be there on Sunday oohing and aahing for the umpteenth time!

kodi Jul 20th, 2004 06:35 AM

Buffalo Girl, have a great time! I've been there twice recently and never tire of it. Whenever I have company from overseas, we head for Niagara Falls. Have you been to the Butterly Conservatory? IT's great too.
But still, nothing beats watching the water pouring over the falls.
Enjoy!!!