Niagara Falls/Toronto in the summer

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I am planning a vacation with my 11 yr old to Niagara Falls and Toronto in either July or August. Flying is too expensive so I have been weighing the pros and cons of train travel vs. car rental. I live in the DC area so it wouldn't be a long drive and I really would like access to a vehicle for Toronto. From having read some of the other forum discussions, it seems that a 2 day stint in Niagara Falls (Canada side) should be more than sufficient. We will then spend the bulk of our time in Toronto. My main question is if I decide to go the train route, what would be the best way to travel from Niagara Falls to Toronto? And would it be possible to rent a vehicle upon arriving in Toronto? Or does it just make more sense to drive the entire trip from DC? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:26 AM

You csn take a train from downtown Niagara to Toronto. Just check the schedules. Once there, you can use public transit in the city so wont even need a car to see most things if you are centrally located. By car,from Washington, your trip would be about 9 hours, through Buffalo ( we did it last fall).Not sure how long it takes by train. Having a car gives you more freedom in the Niagara region but no great advantage in the city.Parking is expensive too.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 04:34 AM

If you reach Toronto by public transport, forget about renting a car unless you need to take side trips outside the Toronto region. Traffic is horrendous; parking expensive; stress level nerve-shaking. The city's transit system will reach most places you want to go and your young companion may enjoy the subway and streetcars. http://www.ttc.ca/
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 09:28 AM

The drive from DC is about 9 to 10 hours and having a car in the immediate Niagara Falls tourist area is not necessary, however, the drive along the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake will require the car... while there, book the Whirlpool JetBoats, by far the best experience for an 11 year old...

Clifton Hill in Niagara was designed by an 11 year olds dream, with arcades, attractions, food, and museums, so it might be worth an afternoon...

You can then park your car at the Niagara Falls Rail Station (FREE) and take the VIA rail to toronto... as mentioned above, TO has a vast system of public transport and if you are adventurous, you can get anywhere...
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM

With the temperatures we have been having in the month of March so far, it is possible that Niagara Falls will be still frozen in July!!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input!
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 05:28 AM

Also I get alerts weekly for Niagara falls vacations from :
http://www.travelzoo.com/ca/search/?...pe=t&x=20&y=14

As an exampel as its a popular place. If you check in a few months they will be offerring the summer specials.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 05:42 PM

What is the name of the Castle like home outside of Toronto?
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Casa Loma
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM

thanks gary
Old Jun 23rd, 2013, 07:34 PM

Casa Loma isn't outside of Toronto. It's in the city and easily accessible by subway and a short walk.

If you should happen to win the lottery in the interim and decide to fly, fly Porter Airlines. It goes between DC and Toronto and it's a lovely flying experience. Plus you'll land at a downtown airport.

You definitely don't need a car in Toronto and I think you'll just find it a burden. I've driven from Toronto to DC many times and I think gary's estimate of 9 to 10 hours is low. It generally took us about 12 hours though we were driving to Fairfax, VA, and the last bit on the ring road and Telegraph Road was always slower. Plus I expect that with an 11 year old in the car, you'll be wanting to make some stops along the way.

Have a great time in Toronto. There's tons to do here in the summer!
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 07:45 PM

Thanks godesstogo, your're helping me look beautiful on the scrunching post and getting me ready for our trip. We'll be flying our small plane up to Niagra's airport. I was planning on renting a car. My husband is not a city person but has heard good things about Toronto. I don't want him stressing about city driving though...what are your thoughts? Which hotel would be outside of city with a good connection by subway into the city?
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 03:41 AM

uh oh, I'm not good with hotels outside the city -- I'm a downtown girl. I think I'll let someone else answer that question. You may want to post it separately though. I think you'll get more answers that way. You'll probably end up driving from your hotel to a subway station and traveling downtown from there.
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 12:30 AM

Hiring a car is best option when you are traveling to Niagara Falls as it provides an unique way to journey by saving money and time. I also hired a car when I was there. It was a pleasant experience to get services from a car hire company as it taken away all our worries of finding a public transport and provided us the car as per our need and requirement. If you want to stay in Niagara falls, one more thing that we have to keep in mind that we need to choose a hotel that is nearby Niagara falls.