B.C. or Canadian Rockies?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving from the U.S.-(California)-If you had to choose (ugh!) would you do Victoria, Whistler or Banff, Lake Louise & Glacier? I had planned on doing it all-but it seems a bit ambitious. thanks for any feedback.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Victoria and Whistler give you a lot of what you are probably familiar with if you live on the West Coast and as you drive up from California. Victoria is different from anything you will find in the US, but it is still a coastal type vacation. If you love that and want more, stay on the coast.

If you want something different, cut over and go through Waterton National Park, and Banff/Lake Louise.

Old Jun 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM

Well, we too are planning on PNW Sept 2009; flying to Portland, driving to Seattle, ferrying to Vancouver/Victoria, then taking the train to Banff, and then driving to Glacier National and Yellowstone. The Rocky Mountaineer seems the best way to get over towards Calgary while enjoying the view, though pricey. (Has anyone taken either the redleaf or goldleaf and is the 'gold' worth the double price?) -- But back to your planning, let me know what you pick. Thanks -
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

I think I'm crazy but I must do both! We are driving (yes-I know it's nuts) from So Ca. Up through Utah and into Glacier/Waterton then to Banff, stop at LL on the way to Whistler. OK-big question. Should we overnight in Revlestoke, which means a little less time in the rockes, or drive all day from Banff, which cuts off 1/2 a day in Whistler? argh! I'm going crazy planning-we leave in 4 days!
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 10:35 PM

You might wind up further along than Revelstoke if you want to stop overnight enroute. To me, Whistler doesn't compare to the Rockies so I wouldn't worry about missing time there.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM

We had a similar dilemma last year on a driving trip taking us from Calgary through the Rockies and Revelstoke, then to Whistler and Vancouver. We ended up spending only a couple of hours in Whistler! We don't care about big ski resorts so it was the right decision for us, but it all depends on what you like. Instead we took time to linger on the drive between Kamloops and Whistler, which was fabulous. Even if you're rushed, take 5 minutes to stop for a break at Seton Lake, near Lillooet, it's a beautiful spot.
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Without doubt Jasper -Banff.It's beautiful.paul
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Been to Whistler & Banff area recently. Without a doubt - go to Banff. It was one of the most beautiful areas I have ever been to. Do some hiking. Take the hike up to the teahouse by Lake Louise. Wow. Truly beautiful.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 04:18 AM

Banff, LL, & Jasper. No contest.