Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   Niagara Falls- 1st Time trip and Hotel Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/niagara-falls-1st-time-trip-and-hotel-questions-725916/)

brittany21 Aug 2nd, 2007 02:29 PM

Niagara Falls- 1st Time trip and Hotel Questions

Ok. I have been planning this trip to Niagara for quite some time.
Oct 5th- 7th. Right now we have reservations at the Sheraton Fallsview Hotel and Conference Center. It is a fallsview room.
My plan:
We are driving from PA and will be leaving early on the morning of 10/5.
Maid of the mist sometime that day 10/5? or should we wait until Sat for that?
I was also considering the Marine land attraction. I would not be interested in the amusement park, just the animal attractions. Do they offer admission to just the aquarium side??
Is the skyolon tower really that expensive, what are we talking as expensive??
The hotel we chose any suggestions on floor level or horror stories that i should be aware of?
We booked this thru travelocity, are we missing out on any freebies that the hotel may ahve provided had we booked with them directly?
Any input on any of my questions, or anything else you feel is relevant would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :-)

tinatoadster Aug 2nd, 2007 03:53 PM

i have no idea what your interests are or who you are traveling with...i.e. kids, etc.

You won't have crowds really in October for the Maid of the Mist. I woul do the journey behind the falls

Do you like Wine? Even if you don't consider a trip into Niagara on the Lake. It is 9 miles from Niagara and really worth it. The town is great. You can take a carriage ride, walk the little shops, grab lunch at a pub.

I am not familiar with the Marineland attraction. The skylon tower is not that expensive..I assume you mean for dinner. It is moderate. It is pretty at night when they illuminate. I am not sure what the time for that is in the fall.

toedtoes Aug 2nd, 2007 05:22 PM

For Maid of the Mist, I would try for the first day - probably won't be big lines that time of year. If they are booked, then the next morning go straight to the ticket booth and get a timed ticket. That way you can work your schedule around the tour easily.

For the Skylon tower, the general admission for the observation deck is $10.95 for adults.

For meals, the least expensive entree is as follows:

Dinner = $42.00
Early Dinner Special = $35.50
Lunch = $27.00
Childrens menu = $10.95 lunch, $13.95 EDS, and $15.95 Dinner

You can see the menus at skylon.com

In my book, that's expensive. In someone else's, maybe not.

Per the Marineland website, admission covers BOTH the rides and the shows (the Artic Cove Whale Encounter costs extra) and is $38.95 for adults.

Depending on what you're planning on doing, you may find the Adventure Pass to be worthwhile (it can save you money on admissions). You can see what it includes at niagaraparks.com. But, if you buy it here:
http://tinyurl.com/2888zq
you can save an extra $5.13.

amelie Aug 3rd, 2007 04:02 AM

I stayed there before and loved it. I'm not sure what floor we were on, but I don't think there are any obstruction issues like some of the other hotels have?

Have fun!

garyt22 Aug 5th, 2007 06:02 AM

You may want to check the Marineland season schedule...I don't know for sure, but they may be closed...

make sure you drive up the Niagara Parkway to Niagara on the Lake... it will be fall color season and you can stop along the way at the Whirlpool and butterfly atrium... there is also a newer tropical bird attraction near the falls...

the view from the Skylon tower won't be much different than from your room... the tower was built in the 60's when there were no high rise hotels and was worth the admission.... now you can get the same views from several free spots... consider the Keg restaurant in the Embassy Suites as an alternative to eating at the tower... food is better and somewhat cheaper...

Also consider walking across the rainbow bridge to Goat Island for a real close-up look at the water going over the Falls.... you can also walk down to Cave of the Winds and feel the energy from below the falls... you will not forget that experience...

The only Horror story I have involves the food in and around the Falls area... it is overpriced and not of high quality... avoid the buffets and the touristy looking restaurants... there have been several food postings about good places... do a search...

have fun!

garyt22 Aug 5th, 2007 10:24 AM

Couldn't help but check the season schedule... they close Oct 7th last day...however I don't think I would spend a lot of money for closing day... their minds may be on closing the park...

brittany21 Aug 5th, 2007 05:14 PM

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
I did take a peak at Marineland site before i posted this, and was aware we were getting there on closing weekend. I am really only interested in the animals, so i doubt we will do that.

The skylon tower. After reading your replies, and am pretty sure that we are not going to do that. We may try this Keg resturant that was mentioned. Sound like a little more ou style.

Now, those that have stayed at that hotel, or are familiar with it. What floor should we request? I want to be able to sepak to the staff at the front desk when we check in like i know what im talking about, and i know what i want.

Lastly, the JBTF, and COTW. Which should we make a point to do? Someone above suggested something where walking to the cave of the winds would be possible. I was told, possibly incorrectly that the COTW was on the american falls. Is that walking distance?

Again thank you all so much!!!

toedtoes Aug 5th, 2007 05:38 PM

If you can only do one JbtF OR CotW, do CotW.

JbtF - starts at Table Rock, where you take an elevator down to just over 1/2-way down to the river level. There is an outdoor platform where you can stand right next to the Horseshoe Falls. Then you go through a tunnel to 2 breadslice shaped portals directly behind the Falls. It's neat and cool, but you don't get that real direct sensation.

CotW - you take an elevator down to the base of Bridal Falls (it's the very narrow falls between the American Falls and Goat Island. At the bottom, you walk along wooden decks to Hurricane Deck that stands within 20 feet of the Bridal Falls.

You can walk to Goat Island from Rainbow Bridge following the walking paths, or for $2 take the trolley.

CotW is on the American side of the Falls, JbtF is on the Canadian side.

brittany21 Aug 8th, 2007 07:37 AM

One last question that I forgot to ask. I have bene told that Friday nights there are fireworks over the falls. Does anyone know what time they are? I have made dinner reservations for 7 pm that night. Remember this is the first week of OCT, will they still be having the fireworks show in the fall season?

Thanks!!

garyt22 Aug 8th, 2007 08:36 AM

I believe fireworks end in September and the normal time is 10pm in the summer...

brittany21 Aug 9th, 2007 03:03 AM

Thanks. Well i guess, we will have just missed them. I will call the hotel and double check. Thanks so much!