We are planning a trip to Newfoundland for early August 2016. We will have about eight days after flying in and out. We're coming from California. We are an active family of three. Our son is eight and a half. We like hiking, biking, walking around cities, history and some museums. We may also do some kayaking and/or a boat excursion.
Unfortunately it seems the flight from California will require at least one if not two stops. It looks like St. Johns is the more major airport, and we'll likely be flying in and out of there.
We definitely want to see Gros Morne and will probably spend a few days in that area. Since we will probably be flying in and out of St. Johns we'll probably spend a couple days in that area and see the Avalon Peninsula.
Then the question becomes what to see in between and how to best structure the route since it doesn't look like a loop would work. I'm learning that the distances in Newfoundland are pretty substantial and/or the driving speeds are low. We are okay with some driving each day and perhaps one long haul. We don't want to spend all our time just driving around.
I'm curious about L'anse aux Meadows, but it's a four hour drive from the Gros Morne region. We've been to Sweden so we've had some exposure to viking history, and that might be something to skip.
Ideas, feed back, suggestion on where to spend more time, sites and recommendations between St. John/Avalon and Gros Morne would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 http://www.healthyfigures.org/gluten-free/
- 2 Car rental Montreal airport - anyone use Ace Rent a Car or NU Car Rental?
- 3 Montreal for new Years
- 4 BrITISH COLUMBIA IN 4 DAYS
- 5 2018 Road Trip to Alaska
- 6 Romantic restaurant in Toronto
- 7 Toronto - here we come!
- 8 Christmas in Quebec City
- 9 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 10 Montreal,Quebec city and St Lawrence river
- 11 Two weeks in Nova Scotia
- 12 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 13 Montreal for New Years
- 14 Babymoon Destination
- 15 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 16 Music and Scenery in Mova Scotia
- 17 My Family Travle Vlog
- 18 Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle versus Delta Hotels by Marriott
- 19 Ottawa in December
- 20 Canadian Rockies in late June, 2018
- 21 Quebec City Cozy Pubs
- 22 Quebec City/Montreal for Christmas
- 23 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 24 Montreal & Quebec City
- 25 Victoria in December